Is this stuck?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duskb

Reaction score
About 2 weeks ago I brewed an IPA (contents below)

Pale 9 lbs.
Crystal 10L 8 oz
Crystal 60L 4 oz
Victory malt 4 oz
#1 Columbus (13.4%) 1.6 oz 60 min
#2 Cascade (7.4%) 1.0 oz 15 min
#3 Cascade 1.0 oz 0 min
Starting Gravity:1.067
White Labs WLP001

Anyways, details aside I checked the gravity today and I'm sitting about 1.025. The sample tasted finished and there is no more evidence of any activity. Since this is a HG ale should I expect the FG to come in higher than my typical 1.01 or do I need to wait some more before kegging and conditioning?

FYI, there is NO more activity visible....what I don't get is if I should wait longer before transferring out of primary how does the lack of top yeast still allow the beer to ferment further? At the moment it must all be at the bottom....

You might try just rousing the yeast a little bit. Pick up the fermenter and gently twist it back and forth several times to stir up the yeast on the bottom a bit, then put it back and let it sit a few more days before re-checking.

I have no idea what you mean. The beer sat around 70 for most of its fermentation.

The temp you take the reading at can affect what is real and what you are seeing. There are some charts floating around do a google search. Was this all grain or extract if all grain what was your mash temp? Also what was the OG??

The temp you take the reading at can affect what is real and what you are seeing. There are some charts floating around do a google search. Was this all grain or extract if all grain what was your mash temp? Also what was the OG??

This was 9 lbs of pale extract. The OG was posted on the recipe above, I dont recall it off hand.

Correction, I never took a reading for OG I assumed the number on the sheet was close enough.

You might try just rousing the yeast a little bit. Pick up the fermenter and gently twist it back and forth several times to stir up the yeast on the bottom a bit, then put it back and let it sit a few more days before re-checking.

Shook up the bucket. No sign of activity just some air bubbles on the top. Should I be seeing airlock activity over the next few days or will the yeast go into stealth mode and just clean up without evidence?

Also, if I recheck in a few days and don't see a difference where should I go from there? By then I'll be pushing 3 weeks on this batch and I'll need to get it off the cake before too long.

Also, I lied on the temp. Apparently when I measured it this afternoon the water bath was at a very low 65...maybe below that. I suspect it sat that low for awhile. This may have been what triggered the yeast going dormant.

Back