Is this my hops sprouting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NicoleBrewer

Reaction score
Last year I planted a centennial rhizome and when they sprouted they were green and leafy. Today I found this where I planted it. It doesn't look at all like it did last year but it looks like sprouted hops when I googled it ImageUploadedByHome Brew1397498017.822992.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Last year I planted a centennial rhizome and when they sprouted they were green and leafy. Today I found this where I planted it. It doesn't look at all like it did last year but it looks like sprouted hops when I googled itView attachment 193169

Definitely hop shoots.

If you get too many in the future, you can cut them like that and pickle them to eat later on if you wanted.

Yep, those weird, purple tentacles are fresh hop bines. They will soon turn green, open leaves and reach for the sun - thus, continuing the circle of life.

I completely disagree...you should steam them and then soak them in butter with a little salt. Way better.

Well, if you want to be that way!

Overnight soak in a Ballast point sculpin,shallots,black garlic. Then wrap with thick cut bacon and put on the smoker for 5 hours. Finish with mushroom sauce and chives. Perfecto.

Thanks. Unfortunately I don't think I'll have an abundance of shoots. Shortly after posting this they all snapped... We've had really high winds today and the chicken wire I had protecting it must have come loose and broke them all. There is a tiny bit of the broken shoots above the surface. Will they still grow or is this one done? I'm so mad right now!!!

They Will still grow. I was brushing the Fall leaves off mine last year and did the same thing and had the same thought.
Don't worry they will grow new bines you should be fine.

Fear not! More shoots will soon emerge! Mine looked just like that. For some reason second year shoots are purple.

Back