Is this mold in my carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ariel

Reaction score
I sanitized everything with boiling water and star san. Ita been 4 weeks in the carboy. Is this mold growing inside? I saw at as I came to prep my bottles and siphon.
IMG_20211226_111419406.jpg
IMG_20211226_111423908.jpg
IMG_20211226_111428218.jpg

Looks like yeast. Did you sprinkle dry yeast in there?
Yes. I sprinkled onto the surface of the wort. It could have gotten stuck to the glass when I was shaking it all up to add oxygen. It's hasn't happened to my other brews I've made but this only my 5th time

Be careful sanitizing glass carboys with boiling water. They can break from thermal shock.
I first fill them with warm tap water and increase the temp. Wait till it's all hot and then add boiling water. I've had too many glass break on me so I'm extra cautious

The when the krausen is very active you can watch an see that almost all the trub gets churned back into suspension. That and yeast get left on the sides up in the headspace.

Mold I'd expect to be black or blackish-green and fuzzy.

If using dry yeast, most tell you that aerating the wort is unnecessary. I stopped shaking my gallon fermenters quite a few batches ago and they do as good as they ever did with aeration. Maybe better.

The when the krausen is very active you can watch an see that almost all the trub gets churned back into suspension. That and yeast get left on the sides up in the headspace.

Mold I'd expect to be black or blackish-green and fuzzy.

If using dry yeast, most tell you that aerating the wort is unnecessary. I stopped shaking my gallon fermenters quite a few batches ago and they do as good as they ever did with aeration. Maybe better.
Interesting. How come with dry you stop shaking?

Interesting. How come with dry you stop shaking?
Because it's not needed for most dry yeast. Things a little over my 9th grade biology education involved. But I've done my last four brews without aerating and they did fine. Well, two of them are still in the fermenter, but they krausened as well as any.

Can you clarify if it is correct that no oxygenation is needed or not for your dry yeasts? And would there a difference between lagers and ales on this?
We don’t recommend aerating the wort in normal conditions. The dry yeast has been produced and dried with a specific know-how of the Lesaffre Group, in order to maximize the Ergosterols content of the cells. This allows the yeast to grow/multiply and ferment well.However, you could aerate the wort in particular cases, for example if you recycle the yeast. There is no difference (for the O2) between Ale and Lager.
https://fermentis.com/en/knowledge-center/qanda/
If your recipe says to aerate, it might be because you had a choice of liquid and dry yeast when you bough it and they are just covering their bases and not trying to confuse you with one needing aerating and the other not.

Or it's just because the current recipe wasn't updated to the current thinking for that kit if only came with dry.

If you are using kits that don't tell you what yeast they are giving you, then I'd throw that yeast away and get a known brand of yeast appropriate for the beer you are making. It made a big difference for me when I was still buying ingredient kits that had an unbranded packet of dry yeast in them that was just identified by the name "Yeast".

Because it's not needed for most dry yeast. Things a little over my 9th grade biology education involved. But I've done my last four brews without aerating and they did fine. Well, two of them are still in the fermenter, but they krausened as well as any.

If your recipe says to aerate, it might be because you had a choice of liquid and dry yeast when you bough it and they are just covering their bases and not trying to confuse you with one needing aerating and the other not.

Or it's just because the current recipe wasn't updated to the current thinking for that kit if only came with dry.

If you are using kits that don't tell you what yeast they are giving you, then I'd throw that yeast away and get a known brand of yeast appropriate for the beer you are making. It made a big difference for me when I was still buying ingredient kits that had an unbranded packet of dry yeast in them that was just identified by the name "Yeast".

Thanks. It looks like it was just yeast.

I wasn't following a recipe steps. I was making the Milo 8 recipe for blue moon clone. My first videos I watched to learn to make beer said to shake the bottle to aerate and mix in the dry yeast. I think I will swap to aerating before I add the yeast. Then I either let the yeast soak up the liquid and fall or gently stir to get them to mix in.

Thanks. It looks like it was just yeast.

I wasn't following a recipe steps. I was making the Milo 8 recipe for blue moon clone. My first videos I watched to learn to make beer said to shake the bottle to aerate and mix in the dry yeast. I think I will swap to aerating before I add the yeast. Then I either let the yeast soak up the liquid and fall or gently stir to get them to mix in.
Okay, but just realize that you don't have to do any of that with most dry yeast pitched from it's packet. Aerating and shaking doesn't help it that much if any.

Unless you just like the fun of doing that stuff... which is just more brew day complication to me.

If you re-use yeast that was once dry yeast, you do need to aerate the wort.

There is a lot of dogma in home brewing that keeps us doing stuff that was once necessary but now is not necessary and maybe even detrimental. Though I don't think this is one of those things that is wrong or right either way you go.

Okay, but just realize that you don't have to do any of that with most dry yeast pitched from it's packet. Aerating and shaking doesn't help it that much if any.

Unless you just like the fun of doing that stuff... which is just more brew day complication to me.

If you re-use yeast that was once dry yeast, you do need to aerate the wort.

There is a lot of dogma in home brewing that keeps us doing stuff that was once necessary but now is not necessary and maybe even detrimental. Though I don't think this is one of those things that is wrong or right either way you go.

Why do you say aerating doesn't do much? Im open to stopping it if its not needed and saves time

It's because the manufacturer of the yeast says it is packed with all it needs to propagate which is what oxygen does for liquid yeast.

Is that the same for dry yeast? I only use dry yeast for now. Mainly US-05 and have Us-04 for when I finish the us-05

It's only for dry yeast as we've said several times. And only when pitched the first time. Not if you re-use slurry from one batch for another.

Look at the FAQ or sometimes in the specs of your yeasts manufacturer and you'll find that info.

If you are buying a kit that simply has a non-descript packet marked "yeast" then do what the recipe says. Though I started throwing that non-descript packet away and used a known dry yeast, US-05 for my last batches. Now I no longer buy kits.

Back