Is this Minibrew conical site a scam?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TxBigHops

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'd go for the cheaper model. Use a credit card nd you're covered if there is a problem. Honestly, the lower price seems more realistic to me anyway. This thing is basically a big plastic jug. How can it possibly cost $450+?

Shipping seems a little steep IMHO.

I was going to buy the one linked below but it wont fit in my fermentation chamber, so I went a different route for now anyway... You might be just as happy with one of these for about 1/2 the money as the one your looking at.

http://www.plastic-mart.com/product/5813/15-gallon-cone-inductor-tank-fully-draining-infd15-19

This! +1

I've looked at these. If I was going to invest in equipment to brew significantly larger batches (like if I was going to open a 1 or 2 BBL nano-brewpub), I'd totally go with some of these inductor tanks in a cold room for temp control. Throw some valves and thermowells on there and you've got some really nice fermenters for cheap.

But for my typical batch size of 5 to 6 gallons, I've really enjoyed my FastFerment conical.

Thanks for the additional recommendations guys, but my only question is whether the lower priced site is selling a legitimate Minibrew fermentor. The one I'm looking at is local and used and I'm trying to determine a fair price.

Thanks for the additional recommendations guys, but my only question is whether the lower priced site is selling a legitimate Minibrew fermentor. The one I'm looking at is local and used and I'm trying to determine a fair price.

A fair price is where both seller and buyer come to an amicable agreement. Retail price has little to do with that.

$450 + shipping sounds really high for a plastic jug on a stand. For that price there are many alternatives, and not just in plastic.

I've seen cylindrical vessels that look very similar, possibly manufactured by the same company. The price of those was staggering too.

A fair price is where both seller and buyer come to an amicable agreement. Retail price has little to do with that.

$450 + shipping sounds really high for a plastic jug on a stand. For that price there are many alternatives, and not just in plastic.

I've seen cylindrical vessels that look very similar, possibly manufactured by the same company. The price of those was staggering too.

Agreed on both of your points. For just a little more than the full retail I can get an entry level stainless steel conical. Which is why I feel that the lower price is a more reasonable one for this particular item. For the used one, I would not be willing to pay more than $200; maybe not even that much. I just wanted to show the seller that it is available online for $255 plus shipping as negotiating leverage and why I think his asking price of $275 is too high. But I don't want to try to use a website that is not legitimate.

Back