Is this an ok kettle for a beginner?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not a good idea. Enamel kettles can chip, exposing your wort to the rusting iron, which causes a metallic taste.

That's what I started with before upgrading. It is a good way to start, but David_42 is correct, you need to check it for chips and the like. But you can't beat the price and if you are just getting going and you want to figure out if you want to do brewing for the longhaul, 18$ is not a huge investment.

seems like my posts aren't actually posting, but wanted to say thanks to everyone. I ordered the kettle from AHS this morning.

Smart move the other pots I use for heating water sometimes or cleaning things..but SS is the way to go if you can afford it..

That's what I started with before upgrading. It is a good way to start, but David_42 is correct, you need to check it for chips and the like. But you can't beat the price and if you are just getting going and you want to figure out if you want to do brewing for the longhaul, 18$ is not a huge investment.

Its a waste of money though.

its not big enough, and you can get a 30-34 qt aluminum one for the same price.

You'll make better beer doing full boils, so theres no reason to not leave the option available.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10756126 ( i bought something similar for 21.99 at walmart)

wow, just put in the order with AHS this morning and opted for their flat rate $7.99 shipping option and they've already got it ready to go. supposed to get my tracking # later this evening. I'm impressed!

Back