IS THIS A GOOD DEAL? Co2 Tank

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

infectedbrew

Reaction score
I have someone local to me selling a used 15 and 20 # co2 tanks, empty a few years out of hydro, and $30 for both tanks. A little bit of surface rust on them, so they look decent.

Thoughts?
00O0O_lkH1ZLPuiM3_600x450.jpg

I'd snag them up personally. That's a good deal. They're steel, so heavy, aluminum is better, but you can take both tanks in and probably swap it for one aluminum or even a 5lb and 20lb aluminum (may cost a few bucks)

Sometimes hydro is free with the purchase of gas if you take it to the place on the sticker. I know airgas does free swap in or out of hydro for the cost only if the sticker says airgas on it.

Regardless, $30 for both is a hell of a deal. If the one on the left has no sticker one it you may have issues getting some to swap it. Make sure the valves are all correct too. CGA320 I believe is co2

Btw, 15 isn't too common, may have issues getting swaps with out calling in advance to assure its in stock.

I'd try to get a 5lb aluminum and a 20lb aluminum swap for free (the 15lb take is worth more than a 5 and a upgrade to aluminum) but not everyone will do It.

Then use the 5lb to dispense, and use the 20lb to purge and carbonate.

The airgas near me won't touch anything below 20#, but for the the 20# tank, $30 is a decent deal. Just get it exchanged and see if you can find a place to swap/fill the other tank, possibly swap it for another 20# (I know some places will swap a different size for the difference in price), or sell it.

I got a picture of the sticker and the 20# is over 15 years out of hydro, still worth it you guys think?

Yea I just called Airgas and they told they'd charge me $20 for the "hydro" and $20 for an exchange on the 20#.

So $55 for a 20# tank full ($15 for the 20# + the $40)

And if I exchange the 15# too for something similar or even smaller, then I'd be getting 2 tanks for under $100 bucks full.

I got a picture of the sticker and the 20# is over 15 years out of hydro, still worth it you guys think?

Did you call around yet to see who will swap one or both out for you and the price on that exchange?

I know hydro tests can run anywhere between $15 and $60 depending on who you go to. So swapping is the most logical. Some places may give you an aluminum one in exchange just for the asking.

So yes, I'd say they're worth $15 a pop.

Your post beat mine. Why would you pay them for a hydro test on a bottle you're not going to own anymore?

I swap at airgas and have yet to have them even look at my tank. I pay, then go around back and put my tank on the loading dock while the guy hands me my new one and I drive off.

If you're nervous about it, try contacting Scotty. I have bought from him multiple times, he's great!
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/40-20-co2-tanks-415193/

These tanks last a lot of years.

If the sticker isn't airgas, don't go to them. They charge a lot of money.

Go to a small welding shop. my airgas charge $20 or $22 for a 5lb swap and $24 for a 20# and $25 for a Hydro regardless of size.

If the tank has their sticker, they will simply swap it for the gas. But if it's not their sticker, I take it to a local welding shop and get my out of hydro 5lb swapped full for $15

I paid $15 to have a 20# hydro tested there too. And she only charges $18 to swap a 20lb

Regardless, I'd buy them. But shop the hydro and fill cause airgas is not cheap.

I swap at airgas and have yet to have them even look at my tank. I pay, then go around back and put my tank on the loading dock while the guy hands me my new one and I drive off.

If you're nervous about it, try contacting Scotty. I have bought from him multiple times, he's great!
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/40-20-co2-tanks-415193/

Yea looks like the 20# might have a sticker on it from Airgas, so lets see if I get away with it, if not I'll act none the wiser if they do catch it :D

Latest posts

Back