Is there really only one LME company?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sablesurfer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, I have learned that Maillard malts are probably repackaged? When you compare descriptions to Briess they are almost spot on with grains that are in them.

Is that the only producer for the USA?

Maillard are repackaged, but they also sell Weyermann malts from Germany. Other malts from England, like Crisp. So they come from different places, so far as grains are concerned. I still can't get some LME's, like Weyermann, over here.

As I understand it, this is not entirely true. While BSG distributes Weyermann malt in this country and is the the sole distributor, they, for whatever reason, do no offer Weyermann's LME. So, as best as I have been able to find out, Weyermann's line LME is unavailable, short of importing it yourself from a foreign vendor.

If I'm wrong, could someone please point me to a U.S. vendor who offers it.

I thought Weyermann was an American company?

I've bought Mutons from Midwest. It's certainly not American (it's from Suffolk, England), but it's at least another extract brand you can buy in the US.

According to the "sole" importer for Weyermann in this country, BSG, it's due to a lack of demand. I'm skeptical but it appears to be what it is.

Back