Is there a beer you buy just for the bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well they may not be long necks... but they are still awesome! I guess I should have said I like the pour from the *somewhat shorter than industry standard* long neck. Anyone know what type they are? I can't find a better name for them...

SN Bottles.jpg

They are definitely cool bottles. I had no idea they were shrink skins. Unfortunately, Gunness is the one thing I prefer in a can if I am going to have at home.

I buy Hacker Pschorr for the swing tops. Not a fan but for $3.25 for 550mls is pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Where do you find Hacker Pschorr swingtop's? I can only get them in Germany lol

Cheers!

i'm surprised that we're 5 pages in and no one has mentioned Duvel.

i brew a lot of highly carbed belgian beers so i'm always on the look-out for thick glass bottles. 12 oz (technically 11.2 oz) Duvels are always welcome additions to my collection. it's easy to find 22 oz/750 ml thick glass bottles, but single servings that use regular 26mm caps are harder to come by.

plus, i love me a Duvel.

duvel.jpg

Sweetcell, Gulden draak and Kasteel both use those bottles as well if you like them. I'm a big fan of the bottles Rochefort uses, they store in a smaller space than those stubbies but can still handle 4+ volumes.

HirschbrauDoppelHirsch.jpg

I love these bottles. The beers ok but 500ml flip tops are great. Plus the labels just slip right off with zero effort.

I just picked up a growler of Rogue amber for $13 since it came in a new growler and I like most of Rogues offerings.

Deschutes. Their bottles used to have the hops molded in at the base of the neck but they don't anymore. Still nice bottles to reuse though.

Chainbreaker from Deschutes, back when it came in the AWESOME hop vine bottles:

Chainbreakerbottle.jpg

Don't get me wrong, it's a great beer, and I would happily have gone through a six pack or two. But I literally bought and drank two cases worth of it, just so I could get the bottles for my own. :rockin:

I knocked a bunch of bottles over once capping spilling beer everywhere. The next 120 beers I drank were grolsch since they cost nearly the same as buying empty ez cap bottles but they came with free beer inside. Then a year ago I finally built a keezer and donated them all to some other sap, I mean home brewer, who hates himself and still recaps bottles.

I can't tell you the last time I really bought beer. Once in awhile, i'll pick up a 6 pack of mix and match. I have friends that are bartenders so I get my bottles for free. Probably have around 20 empty cases sitting in my basement.

My wife will buy the occasional bottle of sparkling white wine (heavy green bottles). I've used a couple of the 750ml bottles for carbonated apfelwein. They take a standard bottle cap just fine. I have to reverse the metal tabs on my wing capper when I do this but so far so good.

I haven't used these for beer yet but wouldn't hesitate in a pinch.

I'll use anything cappable, but, since I'm brewing meads these days, have taken to buying a 12 pack of Modelo Especial (clear bottles) now and again to have clear bottles for gifting....brown bottles stay at home. I like the Grolsch, but anymore only buy it if I need to replace the "washers" on my guitars (use 'em as straplocks, lowbudget solution that works incredibly well :) )

I bought a 5l keg of cheap pilsener just because it was cheaper than buying an empty keg.

Collected cases of stubbies from Sierra Nevada and the like. I like Seirra Nevada, I just prefer to try new things when I go to the beer store. I keg now though, so I have my 3 cases of the stubbies sitting in the shed for when I bottle ageable beers. Other than that I don;t even bottle anymore.

During Desert Storm I was based out of Ramstein, Germany. On my way back to the states I picked up two cases of half-liter Bitburger bottles. I still have about 15 of the them and they are my go-to bottles. Very easy to cap.

I have a lot of Anchor bottles. Like the beer, too, but don't drink it as much as I used to. Too many other things vying for attention. Once you've had Anchor Liberty at the brewery taproom, the bottled stuff seems like a pale imitation.

I'll swing by Costco and pick their variety pack when I need bottles they are nice standard non-stamped bottles and runs $18.99 a 24pk and a 24pk of clean glass from LBS is $14.99. I don't really care for any of the beers (my fave is the German Lager) but my friends always help me out! For $4 I can clean and delabel them no problem!!

A friend tipped me off to Drakes bottles. Great beer, and the labels peel right off clean and easy.

Hacker Pschorr in Ontario, Canada are only available in 500ml swing tops. And they are available in both the LCBO and the Beer Store.

Hacker Pschorr in Ontario, Canada are only available in 500ml swing tops. And they are available in both the LCBO and the Beer Store.

And empty swingtops are worth almost as much at every homebrew shop I've been to.

I would buy Orval at twice the price even if it came in screw tops, but I would also buy Orval for the bottles even if it was terrible.

Lol I went through 7 12 packs of these for the bottles came to bottling day and went to cap with my wing capper and was like WTF!!!!
You need a bench capper.... I went on ebay and bought a cheap old antique one, about twenty minutes after trying out my brand new wing capper.

I have been working on preparing favors for my son's wedding and wanted to standardize on long necks. In the process I discovered Lagunita's Little Sumpin'. It's clone will be one of the favors. Couldn't stop buying them, despite their stubby stature. They will be relegated to other give-aways.

Early on before I started kegging, I bought a closed case of Grolsch, hoping for swing tops. They were capped and I left the green bottles out and learned about skunking being caused by the sun. I haven't bought a green bottle of anything since.

If you stumble over a stash of Lagunitas Lucky 13 somewhere, buy everything they have. I bought a bottle, loved it, went back next day and the display was completely empty.:(

Any cheap-ish but good beer. New Belgium beers come to mind. Needing bottles definitely makes me avoid canned beers like the plague.

I use a few New Belgium bottles and just so you know too, something I read on here in a few spots. These have notoriously blown up or broken as I guess they use thin/cheap glass. I plan to weed mine out of my supply.

I buy grolsh or German beers (swing tops), Ayinger comes to mind, just for the bottle.

I may have picked out beer based on an interesting name/label/bottle, but I've never bought a beer I knew I wouldn't care for just because I wanted to save the bottles for HB.

Shape-wise, I like Anchor bottles, but I generally just go with whatever has easy-to-remove labels. Ayinger bottles are nice because they're built sturdier than some American longnecks, and the labels come off very easy. Redhook bottles could be cool because of the unique shape, but the labels are too hard to take off.

I love the redhook bottles, just soak them in oxyclean for 24 hours and they just need a quick hit with the sponge after it peals off.

I buy Innstadt Helles for the 1/2 liter fliptop, and the beer is decent, too. I like many of the Euro 1/2 liter crown cap bottles as well. Nice and sturdy.

I agree with Costco post. Their kirkland brand is an okay beer, but more importantly, it is cheap. However, I drink a lot of Sweetwater Brewery beer, so that is my bottle of choice. I've been looking for a good Sweetwater IPA clone, and plan to try some that have been posted here.

I agree with Costco post. Their kirkland brand is an okay beer, but more importantly, it is cheap. However, I drink a lot of Sweetwater Brewery beer, so that is my bottle of choice. I've been looking for a good Sweetwater IPA clone, and plan to try some that have been posted here.

There's a Kirkland beer? And it comes in a crown cap glass bottle? Do they have craft styles or just a lager and light?

I had a Costco card long ago but haven't been there in a while.

I use a few New Belgium bottles and just so you know too, something I read on here in a few spots. These have notoriously blown up or broken as I guess they use thin/cheap glass. I plan to weed mine out of my supply.

I hadn't heard that, thanks for the tip.

I try and buy New Belgium when I buy a twelve pack. I mostly brew Belgians, and my homebrews look like Trappists. Classy.

Corona Familiar 32 oz bottles. After the bottling of 170 gallons of cider one year I hate to look at 12 oz bottles with that much volume. At 2.99 a pop it is a cheap durable bottle. Don't drink the stuff until you are well buzzed and taste buds are dead or add tomato juice.

I do bottle 5 gallon batches in 12 ouncers and prefer long necks. After de-labelling 80+ cases of beer bottles you find out which company uses the cheap glue and the expensive glue; and which are easier to cap with the 1930s capper I use.

Otherwise I have no style preference, similar to mason jars. If it keeps a product for a shelf life it is good for me.

I picked up a 12er of New Belgium last year sometime in hopes that I'd get good beer and bottles but after washing them I'd say 4 or so had weird hairline cracks from what seemed like a manufacturing defect.

Back