IS the Better Bottle Better?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpecialEd

Reaction score
Has anyone used the Better Bottle? Does it work well and are there really any benefits. Going to buy my first secondary fermentor and either this or just a 5 gal glass carboy. I think the glass carboy full of beer looks better...

I'ce been using glass for over thirty years.

The only disadvantages to glass that I am aware of are that it weighs more, and that it is easier to break, but I've always been able to lift a full carboy, and I haven't broken one yet.

The only reservation about plastic that I would have is that it is easier to scratch and probably won't last as long as a glass equivalent.

-a.

Yeah lifting wont be a problem. Its special plastic called PET. Suppossedly its nonporus and all that. I am a bit concerned it could get scratched and be difficult to sanitize. One obvious advantage is it has a racking spigot, kinda nice.

I've never used anything but glass, and I've never been anything but happy with it. If you're using glass, don't switch. My two cents.

BREW ON:mug:

I switched to Better Bottles because at 58 and with weak knees it was hard and somewhat hazardous for me to carry glass carboys up and down the stairs where I had to put my fermenter. (chest freezer)
I too had concerns about scratches but so far I have found that this is a non issue and that they clean up easier than the glass carboys. The krausen that sticks to the sides which was the hardest to clean off the glass doesn't stick as well to the PET. I fill mine with a dose of oxyclean, wait a couple of hours and one swish with the bottle brush and it comes off completely.
I also love the long neck which makes it easier to pick up out of my chest freezer and the fact that it is light as a feather.
I have 4 of them now and I will never go back to glass.:mug:

Edit: The question is "Are Better Bottles Better?" No, not better, just different and it depends on your needs.

Curious: do the carboy caps (not the stoppers) fit on better bottles? I was thinking of picking one up since I wanted to buy a spare carbopy anyway but I'd rather not use stoppers if I can help it.

kornkob said:
Curious: do the carboy caps (not the stoppers) fit on better bottles? I was thinking of picking one up since I wanted to buy a spare carbopy anyway but I'd rather not use stoppers if I can help it.

Can't help there, I've been meaning to find out the same thing myself. I'll probably pick a cap up Saturday and give it a shot.

Back