Is SS Brewtech introducing an eBIAB system?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just wanted to post an update in here. I got this email late last night:

MjRnSJYbB3vc1h5PFssHG_Esg8j8LitxL7CuFPUs_o8vmfhO7GlCwcpEnDZ-pa4yl1pFeo-ofUSLCu8haWw1p1y9bR0XVc_p1Pkv1Dr8MghUCT4PnZPye6DCeZngCmGxvJWQgyKxpQzr6-vdl5M2jlgcdoDVydSFx0RgUZA=s0-d-e1-ft
Electric Brewing Update / HomeBrewCon 2018
(please click "download images" in your email client to view the pics below!)

Happy ThurSsday Everybody!

HomeBrewCon 2018 (Portland, OR) is upon us yet again! A little later than usual this year, but the way time has been flying at Ss these days - worked out good for us and allowed us to cobble together a few last bits in time for the Show. Oh what oh what could be hidden behind those wooden walls?! We didn't hold anything back this time around and got a nice big booth to showcase all the new goodieSs and hopefully still have enough room for all of you to squeeze in to get a look!
BS8c_IDHq1IrVUMdSQh7VeenVbvu8aEUONFG-1gI3yl5Lf8Ez5gCmPPV5VEqYwp-UbSt1wYYf_Zu6cRD8sMXzLT48DIUZVRDkjD9LVKCmTgRUTyXk_Y13XSe_RZULlTrgvrtqM5wdB_NBp31rpszKkril7EVsLamnxClpd4=s0-d-e1-ft
One thing for sure you'll see up at HomeBrewCon this year is our new Electric Brewing System! We thought about doing some more sneak peek pics in our newsletter blaster but that wouldn't be any fun?! We'll just keep everybody in suspense until we do the Big Reveal live at the show next week - sorry! But just days away now anyways - what's a few more days?!

We'll be sure to post pics up on Instagram and Facebook and of course we expect attendees to post lots of their own pics and vids while visiting the booth. Looking forward to it!

We'll have quite a few more surprises tucked up our Ssleeves! For those of you that can make it over to the show and check us out - cool! For those of you that can't make it, we'll post lots of pics and feeds from the show that you can check out online.

Cheers and Happy Brewing!

Team Ss

Here's the photos from the IG post. Infer what you will.

SS.png

SS2.png

SS3.png

Left out a few photos that didn't relate to this post. Mostly existing equipment.

I understand the reasons for a custom coil and mounting system but just wish things weren't quite so proprietary. Any more pics of the coil and how it attaches, I'm struggling to see how it makes the connection.

Oh man, I've been waffling between buying a High Gravity 2 vessel system (minus the control panel and swapping in a Auber Brew Cube) with a couple modifications or building a similar system myself. I'm really interested to see how their price and functionality compares with the 2 vessel system. Hope some details come out today.

This isn't going to be cheap, that's for sure. Not the biggest fan of the ports, or lack thereof, on the kettle. That 2V controller alone has to be at least 5 bills.

I'd like to see the whole thing all at once and a price. I'm itching to buy a system or build one.

This isn't going to be cheap, that's for sure. Not the biggest fan of the ports, or lack thereof, on the kettle. That 2V controller alone has to be at least 5 bills.

I'd like to see the whole thing all at once and a price. I'm itching to buy a system or build one.

Yeah, I don't see a whirlpool/recirculation port on the kettle but it could be hiding. I think the fixed analog thermometer is more redundant that I need on a setup that has a digital readout on both which will drive the cost up. Honestly, if the controller is priced around 500 with independent PID for boil and mash (even if only one fires at a time) it will be extremely competitive with similar pre built panels. Right now I'm looking at an Auber cube which pre-built costs over 400 and it only has one output. Granted I'm planning to assemble myself to save a few bucks but if the SS version is reasonable for the feature set it will be worth considering

I dug this up on pricing :
1V controller will be $599, the 2V controller will be $1099, and the 3V has not been priced yet. The kettles will be sold with the element and the pricing will be the same as their current kettle plus the costs of the element.

I dug this up on pricing :
1V controller will be $599, the 2V controller will be $1099, and the 3V has not been priced yet. The kettles will be sold with the element and the pricing will be the same as their current kettle plus the costs of the element.
So, for the 1V system, maybe $1k between the controller and the e-kettle? Woof

And apparently it's a 240v system, according to one of their comments.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I'm new to this blog...but wanted to weigh in on the new SS Brewtech gear...I'm a big fan of SS Brewtech and I'm very interested to see how they price this new eKettle...I too am in the market to build my own two vessel re-circulating mash system. I already have two riptide pumps, 10 Gal SS Kettle, and want to include an Infussion mash tun. I also need to modify my 10 gal Kettle for an electric heating element, but if the price is right on the new SS eKettle, that would be more fun!
I was also waiting on purchasing the Brewtronix Hosehead UNO Single element BIAB Controller ($365) or even splurging for the Hosehead 5BC Electric Brewery Controller ($485), to see if SS Brewtech's new controllers were going to be something new, innovative, and less expensive...but it looks like they are going to be the same as all the others (to include the Wort Hog High Gravity versions)...same equipment and twice the price of what they are really worth. Kinda frustrating.

SS puts a premium on their name and "bling" factor....I was going to upgrade to their 15g kettle on the High Gravity system, but decided that I was only paying for some very minor difference from the stock kettle.

I am in no way knocking SSbT, they have great products....I wish they sold the trub dam as a single item....

T

Not to get too far off topic from the electric system, but it wouldn't be hard to DIY the trub dam. Order a replacement silicone blade directly from the Ss website, cut a piece of 304 (pretty likely that any metal shop will have scrap bigger than this) and silver solder or weld it onto a pick-up tube. Won't necessarily be as refined as the OEM part, but will still function as-intended.

Back to the electric system:
I really do like the look of the controllers, and I'm sure that quality will be great. As for the prices mentioned above... that's definitely making me reconsider upgrading to their system right away. I'll reserve judgment until I see official prices on their website. In terms of comparable systems, Brau Supply has an eBIAB system that includes pump, a really nice basket, and a chiller for around the same price as just the kettle, element, and controller by Ss. Then there's the grainfather and variants... I get that there may be a difference in quality, brand name, etc, but the (supposed) price seems steep.

That's gonna be a pass from me dog.

If you are building something like the HG 2V system, wouldn't you need only a 1V controller? I thought that system only heated 1 vessel and ran 2 pumps off the controller.

If you are building something like the HG 2V system, wouldn't you need only a 1V controller? I thought that system only heated 1 vessel and ran 2 pumps off the controller.

I was wondering the same thing, shouldn't you just be heating a single vessel in a 2 vessel setup?

Here's some video coverage on the new kettles and controllers from HBC that Brian did on his YouTube channel:

In the video, they also mention that SS has chosen SSVR's for powering the elements, which will run on 30A 220v. And from my perception, it doesn't look like it'd come with a basket. Haven't seen a mention of bags/baskets from anything. The 1 vessel controller having two accessory 120v outputs means a user could put it to work in a 2 vessel system setup like a Brutus 20.

Here's some video coverage on the new kettles and controllers from HBC that Brian did on his YouTube channel:

In the video, they also mention that SS has chosen SSVR's for powering the elements, which will run on 30A 220v. And from my perception, it doesn't look like it'd come with a basket. Haven't seen a mention of bags/baskets from anything. The 1 vessel controller having two accessory 120v outputs means a user could put it to work in a 2 vessel system setup like a Brutus 20.

Thanks for sharing! Hopefully, we'll get some more concrete details in the near future about the different configurations they plan to offer that will prove me wrong, but from what I see so far, it doesn't seem like there's a lot of focus on offering a complete 1V eBIAB system. For the rumored prices, I can't figure out how they expect to compete with something like the Brau Supply system (which, as @Bent-Brewer already mentioned above, already comes with a well designed/thought out mash basket, pump, controller, and chiller). Seems like the Ss Brewtech will set you back at least $1K for just the kettle and controller, and then they expect the buyer to DIY their own mash basket solution and buy a pump & chiller on top of that? Also, looks like you'd have to DIY/mod your fancy new kettle or lid for a recirc port for the mash as well.

Like I said, hopefully we'll get some better info soon, since I'm not sure what their target market would even be for the 1V system if all this were accurate. Whatever the 1V system ends up being, I hope they don't force people into getting/paying for that additional thermometer in the kettle - not sure what purpose it serves and it would only get in the way of whatever mash basket or false-bottom/bag solution you'd decide to use with it.

Yeah, that's all I need, but if the SS brewtech system appeared to be an improvement at a slightly higher cost then I would have considered it. I'm not one to lock in on only one design.

Aside from the suspected costs mentioned above, I haven't seen or heard anything official from Ss yet- the video reinforces that. I'd suggest reserving judgement until official numbers and features are provided.
  • As with other comments, I did not see a recirculation port in either the kettle or lid, and it may have just been left out of the floor models for the show. This really is a need-to-have feature if they expect people to use the electric system as intended (regardless of 1, 2, or 3 vessel setup).
  • I'm sure that they've verified the pick-up tube / trub dam will fit with the heating element in place, but I haven't seen any photos or video of the full assembly.
  • The dial thermometer seems pretty redundant in an electric setup, especially when a thermocouple is built into the element fixture.

Yeah, that's all I need, but if the SS brewtech system appeared to be an improvement at a slightly higher cost then I would have considered it. I'm not one to lock in on only one design.

I feel ya... I'm kinda in the same boat- shopping for a new system. I'm considering a single vessel EBIAB conversion, and possibly adding a second vessel down the road. I really like that High Gravity 2V also. To many shiny things out there I suppose

I'm also suspicious that we're seeing an incomplete product right now. I wonder if the real plan is to include a pump, and put a recirculation port where the thermometer is.

If this thing doesnt stack up well in the feature/price areas, I'm off to HG as well. I couldn't care less if something looks good while lacking function that I need in a 1 or 2 vessel system (recirc, pump, basket/bag/elevated bottom to keep grain off element).

Aside from the suspected costs mentioned above, I haven't seen or heard anything official from Ss yet- the video reinforces that. I'd suggest reserving judgement until official numbers and features are provided.
  • As with other comments, I did not see a recirculation port in either the kettle or lid, and it may have just been left out of the floor models for the show. This really is a need-to-have feature if they expect people to use the electric system as intended (regardless of 1, 2, or 3 vessel setup).
  • I'm sure that they've verified the pick-up tube / trub dam will fit with the heating element in place, but I haven't seen any photos or video of the full assembly.
  • The dial thermometer seems pretty redundant in an electric setup, especially when a thermocouple is built into the element fixture.

I’ve always wondered why so much importance is placed on a recirculation port in the kettle or lid in a single vessel system. A port in the kettle limits the diameter of the basket that can be built. The simplest solution is the recirculation tube laying directly on the mash bed. No parts and no interference. You can also fool around with a sort of vorloff when you raised the basket out of the wort. Just my 2 cents that I have shared more than a few times. It works very well and consistently for me.

I feel ya... I'm kinda in the same boat- shopping for a new system. I'm considering a single vessel EBIAB conversion, and possibly adding a second vessel down the road. I really like that High Gravity 2V also. To many shiny things out there I suppose

I was also eyeing the HG 2V, but holding off for more details to make a thorough assessment. Based on prior product announcements from SS, any typical timeline for more details and market release? I suppose the only thing of this system nature from the past would be the tanks and chilling systems, but I didn’t pay close attention to the timeline of information release and product availability after initial announcement.

While it "looks" nice and shiny and its a very snazzy control panel, this is looking like a big disappontment, especially after they have been hyping this as a truly revolutionary, market changing setup. As someone who owns a lot of $$$ SSBT stuff and is in the market for an electric system, I am now thinking it will most likely be Spike and a custom kettle getting my money.

I’ve always wondered why so much importance is placed on a recirculation port in the kettle or lid in a single vessel system. A port in the kettle limits the diameter of the basket that can be built. The simplest solution is the recirculation tube laying directly on the mash bed. No parts and no interference. You can also fool around with a sort of vorloff when you raised the basket out of the wort. Just my 2 cents that I have shared more than a few times. It works very well and consistently for me.

How do you get the wort return tube to stay in the mash securely without any recirc port? Are you holding it down with a clamp or something? While I’m sure I could come up with a solution for it without one, I can’t think of one that wouldn’t be clunky/messy and prone to getting bumped and falling out.

Regarding the port limiting the potential size of the basket, a well-designed recirculating BIAB system should be able to avoid this issue easily, and the good ones do. The Brau Supply has the port in the basket above the top of the kettle, the Clawhammer has it in the lid, the Grainfather has the detachable metal arm that brings the wort over and down into the unit, etc.

I guess I’m just disappointed to see that after initially predicting a spring 2018 release for the electric systems and them basically saying we’re gonna regret getting anything currently on the market after seeing theirs, we’re now well into summer with only having seen a basic e-kettle and a controller to go with it. I’d hope that by this time, they’d at least be able to explain what types of systems they plan to offer with a few basic details about them, and here we are still unsure of whether a recirculated mash eBIAB system is even going to be part of the product line...

I was also eyeing the HG 2V, but holding off for more details to make a thorough assessment. Based on prior product announcements from SS, any typical timeline for more details and market release? I suppose the only thing of this system nature from the past would be the tanks and chilling systems, but I didn’t pay close attention to the timeline of information release and product availability after initial announcement.
SS rep in the video says near the end of the video that they're looking to come to market in early Q4. He wouldn't comment on pricing. SS has commented that they'll have more info up on their page in the next week or two, per their Instagram.

While it "looks" nice and shiny and its a very snazzy control panel, this is looking like a big disappontment, especially after they have been hyping this as a truly revolutionary, market changing setup. As someone who owns a lot of $$$ SSBT stuff and is in the market for an electric system, I am now thinking it will most likely be Spike and a custom kettle getting my money.
I'm mostly disappointed that they came to a trade show with an incomplete product, or at least something that's not ready for market for another couple months. After they've told people since late 2017/early 2018 to "hold on purchasing anything", it's aggravating that they've missed their late Q1/early Q2 release date by a long shot.

I have quite a bit os SSBT stuff but decided not to wait and ordered the Spike system several months ago. I really love it and am happy I didn’t wait.

I couldn't Agree more

Looks Like some more information finally released, including controller pricing:
https://www.ssbrewtech.com/pages/the-workshop

Been waiting since Feb. with $ in hand to upgrade my gear to full 240V electric.... Not going to lie, I'm Somewhat disappointed with SS.... No mention of basket, Recirc., or complete turnkey setup to compete with HG, CH, or Brausupply. Just the cost alone for the SS controller, kettle & element will probably be in the $900-$1k range. Then you still need to tack on a pump, chiller, hoses, fittings, etc. Additionally we're still another 90 days out (Projected) from full production.

Clawhammer now offers their compete kit (Minus controller) for only $550.00. Grounded Brewing produces a killer looking 30A 240 Controller for only $475.00. Most likey will end up going this route.

So far, I am disappoint. Still slim on details, however, the e-mails and the above link make it seem as if the new stuff is not just a control panel and kettles. I can buy a control panel/ kettles from a variety of vendors that are all very similar. I was hoping for new products to combine nice features (BIAB Basket with TC), make the equipment smarter (IoT, webapp, like some of the all in one appliances) and give me a reason to wait, not just another PID control panel.

Last edited:
Back