Is my muscadine wine ready yet?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bnew17

Reaction score
I started 2 batches of muscadine wine last September (2012). I had both in 5 gallon purified water containers. They have been in my laundry room since then with a balloon over the top. I have sampled both and they both taste great im jut worried that they are still working and that ifbi bottled them they would explode. This is my first time making wine so i bave nonidea how long this process should take?

Oh and when i peeled the balloon off one of the jugs i did hear air/gas escape

I'm by no means an expert, but the best way to tell is take an S.G. reading with a hydrometer... U want the SG to be 1.000 or under typically... Even if its still fermenting after months racking it into a secondary fermenter with a airlock will allow it to finish fermenting while removing it off the lees which could taint the flavor.

You more experienced guys/ladies please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks Georgia mead...i dont have an airlock or any other supplies. The recipe i used was one with wild yeast so pretty much all i had to buy was a jug . I do have some Campden tablets... Dont they inhibit the process of wild yeast growth? That would stop what if going on if anything right?

Yes campden is used to typically destroy any bacteria including wild yeast, but I would be cautious in the amount you use, don't want to make it taste like sulfur if u do decide to use it...

im new myself but i think that it should be fine to bottle. maybe rack some of it into one bottle, put a lid on it and let it sit for awhile. then come back and take the lid off and see if you hear c02 come out. if not then bottle it. it should be fine tho

I started 2 batches of muscadine wine last September (2012). I had both in 5 gallon purified water containers. They have been in my laundry room since then with a balloon over the top. I have sampled both and they both taste great im jut worried that they are still working and that ifbi bottled them they would explode. This is my first time making wine so i bave nonidea how long this process should take?

Bnew, it should be finished fermenting, but the only way to tell is if you use a hydrometer, since you dont have one its impossible to tell, get one before you make another batch of wine and use it:D, may I suggest, go to ec kraus website, they have a good, easy to understand wine making section, it is really all you need to know to get started, if you can get some pottasium sorbate and add it to the wine, that will essentially stop all fermentation, even if you add sugar to sweeten the wine, campden tabs may work for this also, but I KNOW the pottasium sorbate will work, as that is what I use all the time, good luck with your future wine making.:rockin:

Back