Is my BIAB/extract whack?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianmc27

Reaction score
I've brewed several batches (>10) all with a varying amount of grains and ALL of them with extract. I aspire to move to all grain once I get the equipment. I'm trying to use more and more grain as I start to make my own recipes.

My method is this -

I use a brew sock with 3-4 lbs of grains in the brew kettle and mash them for an hour at about 154 degrees.

I then sparge the grains through a colander over the brew kettle with about a gallon of 168 degree water.

I then add 3-6 lbs DME (depending on the recipe) and start my boil from there.

Is there any downside to this method? I'm generally within 3 points of my target OG, but I'm not seeing anyone else using this method.

:mug:

If you've got base grain in there with diastatic power then you're describing a partial mash, pretty common method. One thing if you are not doing a full boil you may want to consider adding the DME at the end of the boil to avoid over darkening or adding flavors from the concentrated boil.

This is pretty much the exact method I use. Partial Mash/Partial Boil (I top up with 2-2.5 gallons of spring water to hit 5.5 gallons).

I can mash up at about 6lbs, though maybe up to 8 if I lighten my sparge, but I generally do 3.5-5 lbs of grain, dunk sparge 10 minutes with 2 gallons, and then add a 3 lb DME bag to get the rest of my sugar. I love it, and I've actually decided to get a keg setup up and running instead up upgrading my kettle to go AG. I can usually hit 72-75% efficiency, which is good enough at this juncture.

Happy Brewing! :mug:

I partial mashed and did partial boils for a long time before I switched to AG brewing. I was doing it before the BIAB term was coined.

After using a MLT cooler for a number of years, I've gone to AG BIAB, at least until I can get a more automated system set up.

Partial mash is a great way to get the benefits of mashing without the equipment costs of AG. It also makes it easier to brew on a stove if you want. Just be sure to factor in the partial boil in figuring your hop utilization. Any of the apps like Beersmith will do that for you.

I did that style for a while, only difference was I added extract at flame out....hops utilization being affected by late addition is overrated. Over the years there have been many people that have tested and notice no difference in final product plus the benefits of extract at flame out in order to get a "cleaner" final taste is essential imo. I went to AG finally due to cost savings. On avg 5 gal batch you can save at least $5-10 which adds up over time. I do BIAB with a 10 gal pot. That's all you need!

I was actually refering to the lower utilization from doing a partial boil and then topping off in the fermenter. I agree that utilization isn't really effected by late extract additions. At least I've never noticed any difference.

If you have some base grains in there you are doing a partial mash/mini mash style of brewing. If there are no base grains in there, it is an extract with specialty grain brew, and you don't need to go 60 minutes, 30 would do. Either will make a good beer.

Downsides are just some control of what goes into your beer. With extract some of that control goes to the extract manufacturer.

I was actually refering to the lower utilization from doing a partial boil and then topping off in the fermenter. I agree that utilization isn't really effected by late extract additions. At least I've never noticed any difference.

I've always done partial boils and have never noticed a difference. Utilization is affected by sugar concentration which can be affected by either partial boil (higher concentration of sugar during boil) or late extract addition (lower sugar concentration during boil). The ideal balance with a partial boil is to partial/mini mash with late extract addition (less sugar during boil but balances out due to less water).

Back