is it time to bottle yet?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gfd622

Reaction score
Quick question on an oatmeal stout. I started my beer about 20 days ago. I believe after day 8 or so (maybe day 10 - i have it written in a notebook that isn't available right now), I transferred it to a secondary. I was thinking about bottling, due to the fact that I'm getting ready to leave town for 2 weeks. I went to check on it, and it's still bubbling at a rate of about 1 bubble every 3 1/2 minutes.

Here's the question. Do I bottle tomorrow night or do I wait 2 more weeks? I am leaving for 2 weeks on Saturday, and when I return I am only home a couple of days and then I'm leaving again on a 3 week jaunt. Perfect time to bottle and let it sit really, but I didn't know if I could just leave it now for 2 more weeks.

Just curious. Thanks

gfd622

You know, I'm a chemist but still new to this brew thing. I didn't think of the hydrometer, so that's a good thought. I'll try that and see if it's where it needs to be. I'll do that tomorrow a.m. (and then I can try some :).

Another question while on the subject of bottling. I want to try to bottle using malt extract instead of priming sugar. I know for priming sugar it seems to always be 5 ounces. How does that relate to malt extract? Again, I have an oatmeal stout I'm brewing (I can give the recipe if you need it - I got it from the brew archives).

I would prefer to know in terms of cups, not ounces (easier for me obviously). I was thinking around 1 cup of malt extract, does that sound right? Maybe even 1 1/4 cups.

Thanks again

GFD622

Personally I would just stick to corn sugar. Specially if you do not have a scale. I have only bothered using DME once and it was not worth the effort. When you get the Hydro reading post up the recipe and we should be able to give you an idea.

I like to age my stouts as long as possible. They really benefit from letting the whole batch mix and mingle for a while. Leave that bad boy for another couple of weeks, then bottle with the sugar.

+1 to bottling with corn sugar. its the most popular choice, and being new, you're best off sticking to 'the normal way' til you have a few brews under your belt.

then you'll have a 'control' to base your experimentations on.

Back