Is it okay to boil the hops in a grain bag?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcd

Reaction score
The dude in the DVD I got from Midwest said he does that. Is it okay? I figured it'd save the hassle of having my strainer get so clogged up while transferring to the fermenter. Is this a bad idea?

No, it is not a bad idea. It is perfectly fine. Some people say that using hop bags effects the utilization, but having done it both ways many times, I don't feel that there is any real tangible difference.

John

You just have to make sure there's enough play in the bag for the hops to spread out. If you use a bag (as I do) just tie it off at the very top, not down around the hops. You want a loose sack of hops, not a hop "packet".

If that makes any sense. :confused:

you can also construct something like this to sit on top of your kettle and allows you to put the hops in on schedule.

hop_bag%20003.jpg

brewhead said:
you can also construct something like this to sit on top of your kettle and allows you to put the hops in on schedule.

hop_bag%20003.jpg

Is that a collector for a pool vacuum?

no. it's a 6" pvc coupling with all thread rods screwed in it with a nylon hop bad attached around the coupling with a pipe clamp

couple more pics of diff versions:

Hop%20Strainer%201.JPG

Hops%20in%20Strainer.JPG

Keep your sack loose! Give it a dunk once in a while to keep the hops moving around.

I'm jealous brewhead! You should market those.

I just patented that idea.... Its mine ;)

Just kidding, but that is brilliant. Im going to have to try that idea.

for those of you rushing out to your local plumbing outlet - if you will notice in my example that this is a step coupling. it has a ridge around the outside (and along the inside as well). this coupling IMO is best because it gives a lip for the the pipe clamp to grip against.
hop_bag%20003.jpg
http://upstatebrewtopians.com/temp/my_stuff/hop_bag 003.jpg

I've heard much discussion about alpha acid loss due to using a hop bag and i will acknowledge that in theory it would be plausible that you are not getting the same xfer of aa. in practice though - i find no discernable difference.

Point me in the direction of a nylon bag that size I could buy locally. And what's the diameter of your coupling PVC?

sweet idea. what do you do with the bags? throw them out? or do you clean them in the dishwasher/washing machine?

it is a nice idea, but i'm nervous about having ONE MORE THING TO CLEAN!

I just used hop/grain bags for the first time in my last batch. They weren't hard to clean, despite their initial appearance after brewing. I turned them inside out and hosed 'em off outside. Then I used the quick wash cycle on the washing machine and added just a little (1/4 oz) of Star San to the liquid detergent reservoir.

Exo said:
Point me in the direction of a nylon bag that size I could buy locally. And what's the diameter of your coupling PVC?

the coupling is 6"Ø

you can get the nylon bag from any lhbs or more beer or northern brewer, or any other such outlet. additionally, home depot and lowes sell a nylon painter's bag which is basically the same thing

it is a nice idea, but I'm nervous about having ONE MORE THING TO CLEAN!

don't be scared mini-me - no big deal - spray the coupling down with the hose and if you don't feel like cleaning the bag - toss it. they're rather cheap. i empty out the hops, turn it inside out, spray it out with the hose - stick it up on a rack to dry and it's ready for use next time.

next question. do you add the irish moss to that bag or you throw that in independently of the hops in the bag?

Back