Is it best to plant rhizomes in the fall or the spring?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TasunkaWitko

Reaction score
Or does it matter?
noidea.gif

If you can find something to plant at this time of the year you should be further ahead than planting in the spring due to the rooting that takes place up until the soil freezes. It's worked for me on more than one occasion!

Jeeze, Montana...I imagine there can't be much time left before everything freezes hard there.
I'd be inclined to hold off 'til the Spring Thaw unless I already had the rhizomes in hand...

Cheers!

subbed I'm interested also. Who's the hopticulturist that can give good answers.

Jeeze, Montana...I imagine there can't be much time left before everything freezes hard there.
I'd be inclined to hold off 'til the Spring Thaw unless I already had the rhizomes in hand...

Cheers!

Good catch daytripper! TasunkaWitko, now's your chance to become part of an experiment to benefit the greater good of the home hop growing community. My successes were accomplished here in NE Ohio where the weather is most likely a little more moderate than your location thus giving more time for rooting prior to the soil freezing. Lop off a few of your friend's rhizomes, plant & let the experiment begin!

G'morning, gents, and thank you for the replies.

The story here is that my German ancestors emigrated from Alsace (where they brewed their own beer) to Ukraine (where they brewed their own beer) to the Killdeer Mountains of Dunn County, North Dakota (where they continued to brew their own beer).

Fast forward to a couple of months ago, when my dad and I were talking; he mentioned that on the site of the North Dakota town where they settled, hops are still growing on their own, as he discovered last summer. It didn't take long to get the idea to attempt to transplant some of these hops here, where the climate is very, very similar.

I do have family in North Dakota that could probably collect some shoots if it would be better to get them in the ground during the fall or winter, but for realistic purposes, it will probably be next spring before I am able to move forward on this. I know that with some plantings, you want to get the cuttings late in the fall or the winter, and then plant them in time to "wake up" in the spring. This is my current plan, but I am very open to suggestions about the best way to get them started.

I've had success with new rhizomes by planting them in 8-10" pots with potting soil in the very early spring when the ground was still frozen and it was too cold to plant. Kept them in my unheated garage for a couple months where it seems they got acclimated to the soil and took root.

I have 4 varieties of hops that I grow and this method has worked well every time. Might be worth trying with new rhizomes to help them get a foothold.

If the hops have survived N. Dakota winters they are probably pretty hardy, I'd say dig them up now and transplant. Once they are in, cover the planting bed with straw, hay, leaves or other mulch to give them some protection from the cold and remove the mulch in the spring when it warms up.

Last edited:
I have a few plants that I just got into the ground. (2 Rhizomes of 3year old Newport, 2 of 1 year old Cascade.)
We moved a few weeks ago, so I pulled them up then. What with one thing or another, I wasn;t able to get them into the ground in the new place until now.
I did my best to keep them moist and cool in the interm.
Here's hoping they made it.
I'm planning on getting at least one more rhizome next spring, probably Nugget or something like that.

Im just buzzed and hillbilly enough to tell and belive this assesment of a story of my brother in law saying he saw a catapiller and acording to its markings its gonna be another long cod winter. you may want to hold off for a little on that dude. on the other hand hops are pretty stong and ive seen them come threw the snow. witch ever you chosse i wouldnt be shocked a bit to find out it worked fine.

A little late to the party, but I would wait until Spring. I do not have much experience in growing hops, but plenty in growing other plants and IMHO it would be better for the plants to be planted in the Spring after the last frost date in your area. The better the start, the stronger the plant.

:mug:
-J-

Back