Is it any good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fargo234

Reaction score
I've been brewing beer for over 10 years now, and my gut says no... but I thought I'd ask you guys. I've not run across this kind of situation before.

Quick background: I ordered enough grains for 2 batches of beer (about 30 lbs.) in March 2010. UPS failed to deliver. The adventure in getting the situation resolved is unimportant, but last weekend (8/28/2011) the package finally found me. Neighbor the next block over thought it was a guitar amp he ordered and stuffed it in a closet.

I of course tossed the yeast and hops. But the grains are sealed in plastic. I've heard of people using grains that have been stored over a long duration, but I had these milled before packaging.

One way or another, they are headed for the compost heap. The question is whether or not I should soak them in hot water first.

I've heard of whole grains lasting 3 years but I kinda doubt grain that's already been milled would last nearly a year and a half.

I would first take a look at em, if there's no sign of mold or decay then taste a few pieces. If it tastes ok try a mash. You're not out anything at this point other than some time and maybe a little propane.

then, taste your wort when you're done. Sounds like you've been brewing long enough that you'd know if the wort were a little funky.

I recently brewed a SMaSH ale with 10 pounds of Golden Promise that had been milled for just about a year. The beer turned out great.

When I returned to brewing I had 10lbs of milled 2-row that was roughly 2 years old. It was in a plastic bag, not vacuum sealed or anything, but it was in a fridge the whole time. I used it to brew my first AG beer, a pumpkin ale. It was lacking body, but being my first AG, there were probably other reasons for that. The beer came fine other than that and almost placed in my first competition. I would definitely use them.

What kind of d1ld0 would order a new guitar amp and then stuff it in a closet without opening it? Must be nice to have throw away money like that!

fargo234 said:
One way or another, they are headed for the compost heap. The question is whether or not I should soak them in hot water first.

One idea is to mash them, save the liquor ( in jars in the fridge) for making yeast starters, and compost your spent grain.

I would use it, But my time is worth very little. The extract for yeast idea is a good one to. It still has starch in it, get it out.

Thanks All! Sounds good to me. I'll do a mash this weekend. If it tastes off, I'll save a portion for making starters.

One idea is to mash them, save the liquor ( in jars in the fridge) for making yeast starters, and compost your spent grain.

+1

Yeast don't care, I would freeze or preferably can the wort, pressure cooked wort makes starters so painless and quick.

Clem

Didn't get to brew the weekend I intended to, but I figured another week or two wouldn't matter to grains that had been sitting in a closet for 18 months. I brewed a batch this past Saturday. Apparently I bought the ingredients for an Imperial Stout. The 12 pounds of Maris Otter were bagged separately. When I opened the sack, they smelled and tasted fine. The bag of specialty grains smelled slightly stale, and yes, tasted stale too. That was it. So I brewed it. The finished product tasted dark and sweet as I'd expect. I guess we'll see how it fares after fermentation & bottle conditioning.

Racked this batch yesterday. Temp and gravity were as expected. It didn't smell exactly as I had expected though. Just... off. Typically I let this recipe sit in the secondary for two weeks before bottling. I didn't taste it at this point for two reasons. 1.) It would have to taste pretty bad for me not to continue at this point. 2.) Warm flat beer.

Bottled this sucker last Friday. Taste was only slightly off. I chilled one tonight and tried it. Of course it was only slightly carbonated, but a thoroughly drinkable beer.

This past Sunday I brewed the second batch that had been in that box since March 2010. Its a Belgian Golden Ale. The grains smelled and tasted fine. The wort smelled and tasted fine.

I guess the lesson here is that a well packaged sack of milled grains can last up to 20 at room temperature.

cclloyd said:
What kind of d1ld0 would order a new guitar amp and then stuff it in a closet without opening it? Must be nice to have throw away money like that!

Yeah, and what the hell was he thinking when the real amp showed up?

I resently used a 10lb bag of 2 row pale that had been sitting around for a year and wasnt vacuum sealed and worked fine for me. Gotta add it wasnt milled, but Im thinking if theres no sign of mold,off colors of funky odors I'd give it a shot.

Latest posts

Back