Is it a Black IPA or hopped up Stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SailorTodd

Reaction score
Brewed up a batch a couple of weeks ago, fancied I was going to make a Black IPA, but may have gone overboard with the darker malts. From the flavor itself, I can't rightly decide whether it is too roasty to call a Black IPA now. Once it's carbonated, I'll have another taste and think about it again. Based on the ingredients, how would you categorize it?

11.5 lbs Briess Pale Ale Malt (3.5 SRM)
1 lbs Pale Malt (6 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
1 lbs Victory Malt (25.0 SRM)
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM)
8.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM)
4.0 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM)
4.0 oz Carafa III (525.0 SRM)
Mashed at 150F for 60(ish) minutes, captured 7.25 gal at 1.050SG

Boiled 75 min, with the hop schedule looking like this:
~2oz Nugget (13.xx% AA)
~1.5 oz Columbus (14.xx% AA)
(Hop schedule was 0.2 oz every 5 minutes with Nugget from 60 to 30 and Columbus from 25 to 5 and 0.2ish oz each of both at 0 and then again for dry hop)

Chilled, then added:
WLP001 Cali Ale yeast

Fermented in a swamp cooler set up at unknown temperature (room fluctuated between 70 and 76) then dry hopped as mentioned above after 5 days fermentation, as the krausen started to fall.

It looks like it's bordering stout territory (more chocolate, roasted barley, carafa than i'd expect in a CDA), but at the same time it doesnt look too over the top in that sense. I've also had very roasty CDAs, so I dont think its too out of the ordinary. Looks like the roast and bitterness (from all the early hop additions) should make it pretty strong on the tongue.

I like my CDA with almost no roast to them, just straight up IPA recipe with Carafa III, so I'd say stout. But, since there is no real style guideline that's just like, my opinion man.

Back