Is fermentation time critical?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kb6m

Reaction score
Hi All,
I have brewed a few batches of cider and I am ready to try my first batch of beer. But, I work some really strange hours and may not be home for 5-6 days at a stretch. If my beer stops fermenting and I'm not able to bottle it for a few days, will it make a difference?

I am, usually, home every day. But, may have only 5-6 hours between shifts to sleep, eat, etc.. Then I get 3-5 days off. So, I can check the SG but may not be able to bottle for a few days.

I want to get a batch started, but don't want to end up throwing it away because I couldn't bottle it at exactly the right time.

Thanks,
Greg

There is no such thing as an exactly right time to bottle. If it goes an extra week or two in the carboy before bottling, it's really no big deal.

So, to summarize: R, DW, HAHB!

A few days, or a few weeks, will not hurt it.

Many people advocate leaving it in the primary for 3-4 weeks anyway, and then if it's a big beer, or complex aging it even longer.

For what it's worth, when you think the primary fermentation is finished you should take a couple of gravity readings a few days apart to make sure. If the SG doesn't change, you know it's safe to bottle.

Thanks for all the QUICK answers. I will be brewing on Friday. It's nice to know that I can let it sit for a couple of days, if I need to.

Helibrewer, do you get your ingredients from our LHBS? They are moving to a new location, just west of where they are now. They should have lot's more room.

Greg

Thanks for all the QUICK answers. I will be brewing on Friday. It's nice to know that I can let it sit for a couple of days, if I need to.

Helibrewer, do you get your ingredients from our LHBS? They are moving to a new location, just west of where they are now. They should have lot's more room.

Greg

I do, and I sometimes go to Whole Foods at Coddingtown, they have good stuff and are open on Sundays :)

Helibrewer,

Great to know. I am trying to perfect a "down and dirty" (sweet and fizzy) cider recipe. I have been using their (Whole Foods) bottles of unfiltered juice. The bonus is, I now have a bunch of 1 gallon glass "carboys".

Greg

BTW.. If you fly into Sutter, I am on your flight path and have kayaked w/Terry.

Jaybird,

Seems like I need to get something in the fermenter. Probably start with a kit from the LHBS. If I like it, I'll work it a little. Then I'll just brew from the recipe.

Thanks again,
Greg

Back