Is Apfelwein Kosher???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nierika

Reaction score
So I have a batch of Ed Wort's Apfelwein that was just kegged, I want to share it with my coworkers. Many are Jewish and some were concerned about it being kosher. One of the girls talked to someone who was knowledgeable about all things kosher. His response was that all wine must be prepared only by Jews for it to be kosher. This is because wine is used ceremonially, but I'm not sure that Apfelwein fits this description.

I don't want her to miss out on the awesome experience (Thanks Ed!:rockin:) So I told her she might still be able to drink it as it's not really wine in the traditional sense, but apple juice fermented with champagne yeast.

Any Jewish people out there care to enlighten us??

I believe the restriction on wine is only as it relates to grape products (i.e., even grape juice has to be made by Jews for it to be Kosher).

link

All beer used to be kosher, but this is no longer the case because fruity beers made with grape products have become more common.

I am not jewish but that is an interesting question. I have worked for a kosher caterer before so I have a slight understanding of keeping kosher.

First thing I would check is if the ingredients used are kosher certified. Many products carry a kosher seal on them. So check you apple juice. The yeast and corn sugar are probably going to be more difficult.

I do know that wine served at Jewish events is a certain kind and is kosher certified, so there may be truth to your friends claim. However, as you point out, that may only relate to the fermentation of grapes. I know we did serve beer and liquor at many functions when I was working for the caterer. Mostly macros BMC and such. I don't know if Bud is kosher certified or not.

The certified bit is what sticks in my memory... If memory serves correctly, a product CAN be kosher if it is prepared according to the guidelines, but ISN'T kosher until the Rabbi approves, which involves a prep facility inspection.

Correct me if I'm wrong, though.

Edit: Looks like I'm wrong...

“Beer has always been accepted by the kosher community as inherently kosher,” said Rabbi Moshe Elefant of the OU.
Source

...Which means a product can be inherently kosher, so my argument goes out the window. Interestingly enough, Coors is certified Kosher, so I would imagine Bud et al are certified as well.

The certified bit is what sticks in my memory... If memory serves correctly, a product CAN be kosher if it is prepared according to the guidelines, but ISN'T kosher until the Rabbi approves, which involves a prep facility inspection.

Correct me if I'm wrong, though.

Not true, at least not according to this site, which is what my Jewish friends always refer me to.

http://www.jewfaq.org/kashrut.htm said:
Contrary to popular misconception, rabbis or other religious officials do not "bless" food to make it kosher.

So I have a batch of Ed Wort's Apfelwein that was just kegged, I want to share it with my coworkers. Many are Jewish and some were concerned about it being kosher. One of the girls talked to someone who was knowledgeable about all things kosher. His response was that all wine must be prepared only by Jews for it to be kosher. This is because wine is used ceremonially, but I'm not sure that Apfelwein fits this description.

I don't want her to miss out on the awesome experience (Thanks Ed!:rockin:) So I told her she might still be able to drink it as it's not really wine in the traditional sense, but apple juice fermented with champagne yeast.

Any Jewish people out there care to enlighten us??

As long as you circumcised the apples you are good to go.

Not true, at least not according to www.jewfaq.com , which is what my Jewish friends always refer me to.

I love the fact that someone created a website with the URL www.JEWFAQ.com. It's like they figured "hey, there are tons of Gentiles that don't understand us, let's make a FAQ site to make it easy for them to Google up our zany beliefs!" It tickles me pink.

Since I keep kosher, i can answer this. All beer , unflavored, is kosher. There is no grape in it, so the apfelwein should be ok also. Assure your friend that you cook these things in equipment dedicated to beer, and that you would never use a sponge that had been used to clean your kitchen pots (right? because we never use detergent).

Back