Is a 50' immersion chiller overkill for 5 gallon batches?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

millsware

Reaction score
I have a roll of 1/2" x 50' copper tubing. I typically brew 5 gallon batches, so I'm wondering if it would be overkill to make it into one 50' chiller, or make 2 25' chillers and give one to a friend.

Thoughts?

It really depends on the size of pot that you have. I know with my 5 gallon batches that my 25' 5/8" chiller sticks out of the top. I would assume that the 50' would be at least half way out of your wort.

Long story short, I would say 25' ones would be perfect. You could even turn one into a pre-chiller so you can cool even faster.

Cheers

No, it's not overkill. I recently stepped up from a 25' 3/8" chiller to a 50' 3/8" chiller and have noticed a HUGE difference in chill times.

Make the bigger chiller, you won't regret it. Just make sure the diameter is wide enough to completely submerge all of the coil if possible.

50' feet is ideal I think. You want to chill your wort down as fast as you can in most cases(the exception would be an extended hop stand for an IPA at varying tempatures). If you wanted to, you could make a prechiller that you place in icewater out of 20 feet, then make the rest for the wort chiller for the wort. That way you are running not just tap water through the wort chiller, but you are running ice water. If it were me I might actually think about doing that. Otherwise 50 feet is not overkill for a 5 gallon batch.

not at all, as long as your entire chiller fits into your wort. more surface area means faster cooling. it will also make it easier to chill 10 gallon batches when you step up your batch size in the future.

go for the largest diameter you can get - faster exchange of water means faster heat reduction.

50' feet is ideal I think. You want to chill your wort down as fast as you can in most cases(the exception would be an extended hop stand for an IPA at varying tempatures). If you wanted to, you could make a prechiller that you place in icewater out of 20 feet, then make the rest for the wort chiller for the wort. That way you are running not just tap water through the wort chiller, but you are running ice water. If it were me I might actually think about doing that. Otherwise 50 feet is not overkill for a 5 gallon batch.

I got in on the HD copper sale and am now using 50 ft of 5/8 for 3.25 gal batches. I made it with an inner and outer coil so it was not so tall. It is just covered by my batch size.

As for overkill, it will depend on the temp and velocity of your input water. If your cooling water is cold enough or fast enough to make it past 25ft before equalizing with the wort temp it is not overkill.

I have a 50' 3/8" chiller for 5 gallon batches. It's great. It chills very quickly. I'd say it isn't necessary, but is by no means overkill.

Another idea would be to make a double-loop if your 50' won't mostly submerge in the wort. That way you can run the water through two sets of coils.

Why not go for 50' but have double or treble cold water entry points, that must jack up the efficiency. So two or three effective coils.

As for overkill, it will depend on the temp and velocity of your input water. If your cooling water is cold enough or fast enough to make it past 25ft before equalizing with the wort temp it is not overkill.

+1

If you run your hose full-blast through your chiller and waste a ton of water, then you will get better cooling efficiency with a 50 foot chiller. If you're more conservative with your water usage then it won't matter. I have a fifty foot chiller but I think it's overkill as I'm not trying to use sixty gallons of water to chill my wort.

marinosr said:
+1 If you run your hose full-blast through your chiller and waste a ton of water, then you will get better cooling efficiency with a 50 foot chiller. If you're more conservative with your water usage then it won't matter. I have a fifty foot chiller but I think it's overkill as I'm not trying to use sixty gallons of water to chill my wort.

During the winter I will use a tub with water, snow and a recirc pump so cold water but low volume. During the summer I will hook up the hydrant and water the garden or shrubbery. High velocity but not as cold

So very little wasted water

During the winter I will use a tub with water, snow and a recirc pump so cold water but low volume. During the summer I will hook up the hydrant and water the garden or shrubbery. High velocity but not as cold

So very little wasted water

the hydrant? Like the fire hydrant?

I got in on the HD copper sale and am now using 50 ft of 5/8 for 3.25 gal batches. I made it with an inner and outer coil so it was not so tall. It is just covered by my batch size.

Another idea would be to make a double-loop if your 50' won't mostly submerge in the wort. That way you can run the water through two sets of coils.

What these guys said.

I had two ~25 ft chillers I was using, one in the wort and one as a prechiller. I'm transitioning to recirculating chilling (pumping ice water through the chiller, haven't bought the pump yet, but my groundwater is cold enough in the winter I don't need it), so I merged them together, with one coil inside the other coil. Making a short and squat ~50 ft chiller. In the current setup I just bridge the gap with some tubing and worm clamps, but eventually I plan on brazing them together for a permanent fixture.

Back