Is a 4 gallon pot too small for a minimash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monty67

Reaction score
I was looking to move up from extract to a partial mash, from what i'm finding it looks like i would need a pot that i could do 4 gallons in. My four gallon pot isn't gonna a do a boil of more than 3.5 gallons being watched like a hawk. Can i get away with it or am I in need of a 5 gallon or 6 gallon stock pot?

I should add that the recipie i would be using would only be using 4 pounds of grain and then followed up with about 4 pounds of wheat dme extract.

The question to ask yourself is how you want to mash. If you're mash rate is 1.25 quarts per gallon, then that is going to require 5 quarts. If you then sparge at, say, 2 quarts per gallon, that would bring you another 8 quarts. 13 quarts will fit in a 4 gallon pot, but like you say it's going to be a bit tedious to watch unless you use some foam control like fermcap-s.

I should add that the recipie i would be using would only be using 4 pounds of grain and then followed up with about 4 pounds of wheat dme extract.

You'll be fine. I do 2.5 gallon batches in a 3 gallon pot routinely. I agree with 5 qts to mash (use a muslin bag) in your 4 gallon pot. Your grains will absorb a quart or so, leaving an even gallon. Move that liquid to a smaller pot. Sparge for ten minutes, stirring regularly, at 170 in the 4 gallon pot with 1.5 gallons (you'll get away with it because you have only 4 lbs of grain). Add the mash wort back in. That's 2.5 gallons. There should be plenty of room for your dme. add some water if you have some room to spare as this will improve results but don't over do it. Hope that helps and welcome to grain.

Back