Irregardless still isn't a real word

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agreed and witnessed. Ive seen it written in professional emails from"smart" people. Glad im not alone on this

cheezydemon is an oxymoron...

demons are f'ing cool... far from cheezy!!!

Ir means "Not" (I know you were kidding, varmint but here it is anyways) as in "irreversible" or not reversible.

So Irregardless means not regardless.

When I see a the word "INERT" (ie. gas, landfill ...) it makes me wonder if this is inert when is it ert.

Just to be the devils advocate!!

http://i.word.com/idictionary/irregardless

Main Entry: ir·re·gard·less
Pronunciation: \ˌir-i-ˈgärd-ləs\
Function: adverb
Etymology: probably blend of irrespective and regardless
Date: circa 1912
nonstandard : regardless
usage Irregardless originated in dialectal American speech in the early 20th century. Its fairly widespread use in speech called it to the attention of usage commentators as early as 1927. The most frequently repeated remark about it is that “there is no such word.” There is such a word, however. It is still used primarily in speech, although it can be found from time to time in edited prose. Its reputation has not risen over the years, and it is still a long way from general acceptance. Use regardless instead.

Ok, I'll go hide now. I don't want to get in trouble irregardless of what I just posted!

cheezydemon3 said:
;) even that says to use the real word instead!;)

Ya, But it does say it's a word! Maybe a poorly used word, but still a word! :)
I have a buddy of mine that absolutely cringes when he hears that word and also wal marts with the S on the end.

So I make sure to use em as often as I can!

It is one of those words that is used so much (incorrectly), that it is accepted by many. Kind of like "supposably". That one drives me nuts too!

dae06 said:
It is one of those words that is used so much (incorrectly), that it is accepted by many. Kind of like "supposably". That one drives me nuts too!

It's sad but true. Used so often by so many that even if its wrong, it still made it into the dictionary!

Ya, But it does say it's a word! Maybe a poorly used word, but still a word! :)

So if it is a word, it means regardful, and stupid people everywhere are using it wrong.

I think that technically, you can say it, but by definition, a double-negative is NOT a word.

As a brewer, I am just spreading the word, because I love my bretheren and don't want them to sound effing retarded if they are representing other homebrewers in any way, shape, or form.

Just to be the devils advocate!!

http://i.word.com/idictionary/irregardless

Main Entry: ir·re·gard·less
Pronunciation: \ˌir-i-ˈgärd-ləs\
Function: adverb
Etymology: probably blend of irrespective and regardless
Date: circa 1912
nonstandard : regardless
usage Irregardless originated in dialectal American speech in the early 20th century. Its fairly widespread use in speech called it to the attention of usage commentators as early as 1927. The most frequently repeated remark about it is that “there is no such word.” There is such a word, however. It is still used primarily in speech, although it can be found from time to time in edited prose. Its reputation has not risen over the years, and it is still a long way from general acceptance. Use regardless instead.

Ok, I'll go hide now. I don't want to get in trouble irregardless of what I just posted!

It's the same difference..

http://www.irregardless.com/

Language purists always decry new usages which aren't "words". However simply because something isn't in one or a few dictionaries, doesn't mean it's not a word. Wikipedia has this:

In language, a word is the smallest element that may be uttered in isolation with semantic or pragmatic content (with literal or practical meaning).

If people use it in speech, it is by definition a word. Most slang words weren't words when they entered the lexicon.

I'm beginning to think Cheezy is reactionaryalistic.

Well after reading this post and the highly intellectual responses anything I would say would just be irrelevant

Language purists always decry new usages which aren't "words". However simply because something isn't in one or a few dictionaries, doesn't mean it's not a word. Wikipedia has this:

In language, a word is the smallest element that may be uttered in isolation with semantic or pragmatic content (with literal or practical meaning).

If people use it in speech, it is by definition a word. Most slang words weren't words when they entered the lexicon.

I'm beginning to think Cheezy is reactionaryalistic.

That's Superreactionaryalistic suckmealadocious to you bub!

When reading or listening to spoken word, it is possible to glean the meaning of a word from the prefixes, body and suffixes.

If we make a word mean it's opposite, just because enough dipsh!ts say it that way, then we just allowed America to get a little more retarded.

One of my pet peeves is grammar nazis who don't know what "real" means.
"Irregardless" may be a stupid and confusing word, therefore a word that should not be used, but EACs that think "irregardless" isn't real are stupid and confusing.

Cheezy, you're making the case for the language to be orthogonal, but in fact English is rich and complex (and difficult) because it isn't.

If you were irradiated, does that mean you weren't subjected to radiation?
Does irritable mean not tabled?

Am I irritating you? Because I wouldn't want to tate you.

Cheezy, you're making the case for the language to be orthogonal, but in fact English is rich and complex (and difficult) because it isn't.

If you were irradiated, does that mean you weren't subjected to radiation?
Does irritable mean not tabled?

Am I irritating you? Because I wouldn't want to tate you.

Irradiated is probably the same problem. Subtract Ir from irritating and you have ritate....ing.... Not sure of the root word there, but either way, neither of those is a double negative.

Irradiated probably came from the same thing irregardless seems to. People trying to sound more important or more intelligent, or at least just to put more emphasis on the word.

"He wasn't just radiated!!! He was IRRADIATED!!!!!! HOLY HELL!!!!!!!

NOTATED is another mis-used word (YES AN ACTUAL WORD) used to sound more intelligent or important when "NOTED" is what is meant 99% of the time.

(unless something is typed in different font and placed in the margins, out of the body of a page, it is merely noted, not NOTATED)

Did you know that English has a future tense only because a bunch of low-brow cockneys started using a mood construction wrong sometime in the 17th century? The entire English language came to exist largely as a result of people using other languages wrong.

Anyway, "irregardless" bugs me too for some reason.

Well, I was just having fun with ya, but actually no - irradiate comes from the Latin: irradiatus, so here "ir" means "into".

I'm a natural contrarian. If you'd been arguing that "irregardless" was a perfectly valid word, I'd be taking the other side. Might be that I just like trying to see the other side of things, but it might be just that I'm an argumentative jerk. :D

In any case, I agree, "irregardless" is superfluous, but it isn't going to bug me all that much, because it's just another instance of the language evolving. Purists are always trying to stabilize language, and they always fail.

Notwithstanding your unpredilection to slang, it ain't no thang.

And I am truly enjoying this thread. I am going to have to say written is not my first or even second language. I suck when it comes to writing

Sadly, the dictionary follows the language rather than the language the dictionary. Hence if a (non-)word becomes commonly used, it is eventually added to the dictionary, much to the chagrin of part-time grammar Nazis like myself.

Irregardless annoys me to no end. A friend of mine mocks those who use it by asking them if they didn't really mean to say 'nonirregardless'

It is acknowledged by some dictionaries as being a synonym for regardless, so I would say that it is a word.

Irregardless of if it is a word or not, I use it more that I use 'regardless' simply because of people on this thread.

And irregardless of if I use it or not, you can't interpret a word's meaning from it's letters, this is English dammit!

"Irregardless" annoys me almost as much as people saying "I could care less," which actually means that they DO care to some extent- the opposite of what they're trying to say.

"I could care less" originated as a sarcastic phrase.

Sadly, the dictionary follows the language rather than the language the dictionary. Hence if a (non-)word becomes commonly used, it is eventually added to the dictionary, much to the chagrin of part-time grammar Nazis like myself.

ic i ácorde. þá eoforswín áswicon ús ac.

It is acknowledged by some dictionaries as being a synonym for regardless, so I would say that it is a word.

Irregardless of if it is a word or not, I use it more that I use 'regardless' simply because of people on this thread.

And irregardless of if I use it or not, you can't interpret a word's meaning from it's letters, this is English dammit!

Just know that if I meet you and you say "irregardless" you aren't getting the job and you aren't getting the benefit of the doubt.

So you want to sound unintelligent just to bug people? I think they call that trolling around here.

Back