Iphone into perfect wort....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonGavlar

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Im here on my second batch of all grain beer. The whole brew day has gone perfect, not a single error. All numbers hit etc nearly to the tee.
I take the pot off the boil and begin cooling with the immersion chiller. I have my phone out as its pitch black out by my hose pipe so im using the torch on my phone to show temp.
I get down to about 110F and thats when i drop my phone into the wort... i quickly dunk my hand in and grab the phone.
Phone still works but what are the chances this batch is ruined? Im absolutely gutted as this was my first AG batch where i milled all the grain etc. Everything went so well till now.
Gutted about whats happened but now i need to know wether this batch is likely to be a dump and just get on with the next batch or wait and see what happens.

Thanks

It'll be fine. i practically swam in my first batch and it turned out fine. I"m not suggesting it as a method though :p The worst case scenario is if you love this batch and have to sacrifice an iPhone every time you brew it :)

I agree I was using a cheap Harbor Freight clamp to hold a hose for my whirlpool and I knocked it right in and had to wait till i finished transferring. On top of that I didn't pitch my yeast till the next morning and the batch came out great.

Notwithstanding iphone is probably several hundo bucks unless you have insurance on it (deductible though), the beer has a good chance of coming out fine.

If there's anything that would be dirty it's going to be your phone - in the future I would recommend bringing the wort back up to 170°F for 1-2 minutes.

Ok so I continued cooling and pitched the yeast. It was getting late and I really couldn’t bring myself to bring my batch back up to boil and then cool again, plus it was a very hoppy beer.. I didn’t want to change the outcome of the late hop additions.
The phone is completey fine.. i have the iphone X and apparently its water proof?
Is it bad that im more concerned about a $35 batch of beer than a $1000 phone?
The beer is now in the fermenter, I guess we will just see how it turns out.

Can anyone inform me on any early tell tale signs that the beer may be infected? Im guessing a funny smell/ taste?

Ok so I continued cooling and pitched the yeast. It was getting late and I really couldn’t bring myself to bring my batch back up to boil and then cool again, plus it was a very hoppy beer.. I didn’t want to change the outcome of the late hop additions.
The phone is completey fine.. i have the iphone X and apparently its water proof?
Is it bad that im more concerned about a $35 batch of beer than a $1000 phone?
The beer is now in the fermenter, I guess we will just see how it turns out.

Can anyone inform me on any early tell tale signs that the beer may be infected? Im guessing a funny smell/ taste?

Personally, I think you'll be fine. As noted above, I think everyone has dropped a foreign item and/or an unsanitized arm in and not had terrible results. And no...I don't think it's bad that you're concerned about the phone. I wouldn't be. But then again I'm not an Apple fan...haha.

Serves you right. iphone, pfft. Who needs a phone in the first place? We are brewing beer.

because you got the phone out so quickly, its new and water resistant that probably saved the phone. The phone being new probably means it doesnt have the bacteria that say my phone would have.... personally I still would have boiled it again for a minute or 2 as my phone is exposed to everything.

How is your beverage coming along?

Coming up to just about 3 weeks in the primary now, i dry hopped with 1.5 oz of citra last week and had a quick sniff whilst i was at it and its smelling amazing. Its ready to bottle, however, have all my bottles tied up with 3 other brews at the moment so just waiting for another 15 bottles to free up and ill get it bottled (currently saving a bit on the side to get a proper 3 tap keg system set up, can’t wait..) shouldn’t be more than a week till i get it into bottles though. Really looking forward to trying this one, have a feeling its going to be my best yet :mug:

Coming up to just about 3 weeks in the primary now, i dry hopped with 1.5 oz of citra last week and had a quick sniff whilst i was at it and its smelling amazing. Its ready to bottle, however, have all my bottles tied up with 3 other brews at the moment so just waiting for another 15 bottles to free up and ill get it bottled (currently saving a bit on the side to get a proper 3 tap keg system set up, can’t wait..) shouldn’t be more than a week till i get it into bottles though. Really looking forward to trying this one, have a feeling its going to be my best yet :mug:
Be sure to list this in the "non-fermentables" part of your recipe, and call Apple to see if there's a charge for a 'brewing royalty' fee...

Remember in Nowary, they used to throw in a wooden ring that had kind of triangle wood pieces on it that was infused with yeast, and thew it in the cooled wort to "help get it going". Afterwards, it was hung back up in the barn/shed until next batch. Considering the millions of gallons of beer made, more or less successful, with less than sanitary conditions, you stand a good chance of getting a new ring tone. AT&T will deduct 20 minutes... or was that Verizon... anyway, the phone is now protected from getting spam calls, but it may need to be worted out in the end.

Update on the apple iphone ale..

Bottled it up today and its looking good and smelling great, didn’t think id get such an amazing smell from the citra dry hop.
Came out nice and clear and tastes pretty good straight from the fermenter. Looking forward to seeing how this tastes carbed up in a few weeks.
Might add an iphone at flameout more often.

Cheers :mug:

jWF2NHH.jpg

Back