Ipa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer Snob

Reaction score
Well..... I have never been much of a hop head, but have been trying different styles of commercial beer to find out if I'd like to brew it. Got some Goose Island IPA. Wow.... I could get used to this. Leaves a real nice after taste in your mouth. Was going to go looking around at different recipes. Does anyone know which hop is central to this brew?

I found this recipe on another board for Goose Island IPA some time ago. I made it, and bought a rack of the real thing and compared them side by side. The result was astounding! No one sampling could tell the difference.

This is a partial mash recipe that could easily be converted into either an all-extract or all-grain recipe.

2# Pale Malt
1# Crystal 20
0.5# Dextrin Malt

Strike Temperature: 166˚F, Mash Temperature: 154˚F for 60 minutes in 1.25 gallons of water and batch-sparged (using the slowly pour over the mash with a coffee cup method) with 2 gallons of water heated to 180˚F, initially.

While collecting the runnings, I had in the pot for first wort hopping (FWH), which means this hop addition sits, soaking in the runnings during the entire sparge:

12.5 AAU Centennial Pellets (1.25 oz of 10.0% alphas)

Brought it to volume (I boil 3 gallons total in a 4 gallon pot) and then brought it to a boil. After a rigorous 45 minute boil, I removed the pot from the burner and did a late-extract addition of:

7# Light LME

Once dissolved, this went back on the heat, was brought back to a boil, and the timer was set for an additional 20 minutes. Further additions were:

7/8 oz Fuggle pellets (4.4%) + 1/8 oz Centennial pellets (10%) @ 15 minutes left.
1 tsp Irish Moss @ 15 minutes left.
1 oz Cascade pellets (5.2%) @ 2 minutes left.

When done and cool, it was racked to the carboy, brought to volume, and I pitched:

Wyeast 1968. (2000 ml starter)

This IPA spent one week in primary and a month in secondary before bottling.

OG: 1.062
FG: 1.011

John

Back