IPA Recipe critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rweird

Reaction score
I decided I want a non citrusy IPA and have come up with the following:

og 1.065 ibus ~65

80% pale
8% Crystal 20L
8% Munich
4% Carapils

45min .5oz/ea el dorado and rakau
15min .5oz eldorado
5 min .5oz el dorado, rakau, and vic secret
whirlpool 1oz/ea el dorado, rakau, and vic secret

ferment at 68 with wlp008

dry hop with 1oz of each for 5 days after fermentation.

any suggestions? how long should I whirlpool for?

8% crystal is too much for my tastes but may not be for others. If it were my recipe, I would go 90% pale, 5% Munich, 5% crystal and drop carapils. I’ve only used it a few times and didn’t notice much from it. As far as the hops and whirlpooling, the hops look good to me. I prefer the majority of my additions late, <10mins. If you were to up any of the additions, I would say dry hop. For whirlpooling I would say ~15 minutes. These are just suggestions from my point of view...I think if you kept the recipe the way it is, I can’t imagine it wouldn’t be enjoyable though.

What fg are you looking for? 12% cara malt in your grist is going to make it hard to get dry. Depending on the yeast you're using you may end up finishing way high.

Carapils is flavorless. It adds body and points to your final gravity. The biggest flaw homebrew IPAs tend to have is high finishes. Even without the dextrin you'll probably have attenuation issues. If you're going to go down this road you have better options available to you.

It sounds like you're after an "east coast IPA" or something more English inspired. I would use Fawcett Pearl in place of two row and a biscuit type malt in place of Munich. At the least I would consider a biscuit type malt like Briess's Victory to boost the breadiness. Munich has a distinct flavor and might not be what you're after. The biscuit malts will add points to your finishing gravity as well but you'll at least get some flavor.

12# base malt (Fawcett Pearl or Golden Promise ideally)
.5# Victory

Single infusion mash, 1qt:lb at 151F, 90 minutes. Sparge at 170 until you have the boil volume. Hop it how you'd like.

Use a yeast with strong attenuation and pitch a lot. For this sort of thing I'd look into WLP007/1098. "Whitbread Dry" At least 1qt starter.

so i adjusted the grain bill to:
88% pale
8% munich
4% crystal 40L
and the hop schedule to keep me around 65 IBUs with an og of 1.065 est fg of 1.017

I didnt have a issue wth original grain bill.
I do 5% crystal40 wth 5% dex wth 2row on average. Ive also gone from all 2row to vienna munich I mix.

You only said non citrusy :confused: So tropical? :p

What do want the malt to be, english?

Stone fruit/tropical. I like dfh 60/90min. I like balanced ipas more than bitter hop bombs.

Whirlpool for about 20 min.
I cant get el dorado and rakau. Ive made a IPL with citra and mosaic that was good, really like the tropical flavour. Grain was 60% vienna, 30%munich, 5%crystal40 and 5%carapils.
Going to make a NEPA with citra, mosaic and azacca tomorrow.

Yakimavalleyhops.com has both. I use el dorado in my blonde and it&#8217;s awesome. I get cherry and watermelon from it. My wife says she gets strawberries.

So this beer was a peach bomb. It didn’t last long. Very good beer

Back