Ipa question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave T

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
brewed a dogfish Head 60min ipa a couple weeks ago. Was pretty hoppy after fermenting. Bottled it 3weeks go, opened one to test, and very light hop flavor. Normal, or do I need to evaluate my skills?

brewed a dogfish Head 60min ipa a couple weeks ago. Was pretty hoppy after fermenting. Bottled it 3weeks go, opened one to test, and very light hop flavor. Normal, or do I need to evaluate my skills?
Not uncommon for hops flavors to fade over time especially when bottling. A lot of brewers who keg will add additional hops into the keg directly to help fight that.

I found hoppy beers degraded very quickly when bottling. One of the many reasons why I moved to kegging. Bottling introduces oxygen which destroys hops quickly.

Yeah I just bought and refurb’d 8 corny kegs, got enough taps to expand my tree to 3, filled my spare CO2 tank, and made a manifold (2 actually, one for kegerator, one for conditioning). Not so much because of degrading hops as arm fatigue when filling 10 gal of beer bottles...

Hop aroma definitely fades over time, hop flavor less so. 3 weeks is quick, though. I can be hypercritical of my beers, might be worth sending it into a competition and getting some nonbiased feedback, even if its just to confirm your impression.

Newbie here, but on my last IPA dry hopping seemed to definitely help with the hop aroma, and somewhat with the hop flavor. Not sure if you did that.

Like papper said aroma tends to fade but flavor should not but it might change some. Bitterness generally decreases with time but I think that is a good thing.

Make sure you use fresh hops, buy from places that identify the harvest year. It also seems like adding some hops in the 20 to 10min time frame helps with long term flavor.

Back