IPA in Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockweezy

Reaction score
I bottled my first IPA almost 4 weeks ago. I have had a couple of them and the carbonation is fine. My question is when will my brew be at its prime? I think I have read that IPA's take longer to condition in the bottle that other types of beers. The beer tastses great, but with time I bet it will be even better. Is there any typical rule to follow about the prime time to drink differerent types of beers ie. Browns, Ambers, Pale Ales ect.?

You will probably get some varying opinion here, but most higher gravity beers benefit from from a lengthy bottle conditioning period (2 months or more). But IPA's can be a bit of an exception here because the 'hoppiness' will degrade over time. My experience has been that my IPA's peaked at about 6-8 weeks. The malt complexity continued to improve after this, but at the expense of reduced hop aroma.

Back