IPA - Centennial & Amarillo - what else?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

perogi

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm branching out for my house beer. Usually I dry hop with Citra after doing a Centennial/Amarillo (20, 10, whirlpool at 180 for 20 mins) but looking at different ideas for a high krausen/dry hop.

On hand I have El Dorado, Galaxy, Idaho #7, Citra, and Mosaic but I don't have a problem going out and getting more.

TL;DR; Brewed with Centennial/Amarillo and looking for a good companion hop for high krausen and dry hop.

I've been dry hopping in the keg with Idaho 7, with Cent, Amarillo types during the brew. Be prepared for a bit of a shocking, intense taste when you first run some from the keg. It settles down to delicious. I recall having to wait a couple of weeks for the flavor to integrate.

I've been dry hopping in the keg with Idaho 7, with Cent, Amarillo types during the brew. Be prepared for a bit of a shocking, intense taste when you first run some from the keg. It settles down to delicious. I recall having to wait a couple of weeks for the flavor to integrate.

Thanks Bobcat - sadly I got a heads up two days ago about a wedding in a month for a friend of a friend so I don't think I have the time for the flavor to integrate.

Upthewazzu said:
- I will look into this. Did you use it only for dry hopping or also during krausen?

I'm branching out for my house beer. Usually I dry hop with Citra after doing a Centennial/Amarillo (20, 10, whirlpool at 180 for 20 mins) but looking at different ideas for a high krausen/dry hop.

On hand I have El Dorado, Galaxy, Idaho #7, Citra, and Mosaic but I don't have a problem going out and getting more.

TL;DR; Brewed with Centennial/Amarillo and looking for a good companion hop for high krausen and dry hop.

Perogi, do you mind sharing your Centennial/Amarillo IPA recipe?

Perogi, do you mind sharing your Centennial/Amarillo IPA recipe?

Sure - it's essentially Kal's The Electric Pale Ale: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24947 but I use 20#s of Maris Otter instead of 15#s of 2-row and 4 pounds of Vienna or Munich (whatever I have on hand). I've also tried variations of Crystal (Lovibond values from 30 to 75 and between 0.75 to 1.5 pounds of it) but now I use a pound of 45L. For the 0 min addition, I drop the temp in the kettle to 180 and whirlpool for 20 mins. Usually stick with Safale US-05 but used A38 with a 3l starter.

For this incarnation, I eschewed crystal altogether and going to dry hop with simcoe/amarillo in one corny and el dorado/citra in the other corny (0.5oz of each). Also dumped 2 oz of citra during high krausen and came back from work with it sitting in the blow off bucket - whoops :)

Note! This is for a 12 gallon batch. Please adjust for your set up (my calculated brewhouse efficiency is around 75% for this type of beer).

Give me a shout if you have any questions about this recipe. It's what I consider my "house beer" and a huge grapefruit bomb.

Last edited:
IMG_20190603_204029.jpg
Final result.

Attachments

• IMG_20190603_204029.jpg
    IMG_20190603_204029.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 77
Back