IPA burnout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
....American beer as pferd pissen

How degrading to the horses :)

It's amazes and saddens me that the older I get, the more I confirm that most American breweries are either in bandwagon mode or simply could never get it right (there are a few extremely rare exceptions).

the idiots that drank it...

?

How degrading to the horses :)

The saddest part is that the idiots that drank it, probably believed that's how German beers actually taste

Marketing.....Marketing.,...Marketing.....
Everyone knows... Germans invented beer in the 13th century... OK...OK... That's not true... but whatever....
But it makes for a good story on the placards.....

I was at a bar today that has 43 beers on tap. I got the draft list and counted 26 of them were IPA or something generally regarded as American hoppy. That's just pathetic and sad honestly. I like hoppy beers but I really wish more styles were in demand besides IPAs. It gets old quick.

It's sort of human nature to grow tired of something after doing it 100 times .
Listen to Highway to hell 100 times?
Eat Fried chicken for dinner 100 times?
Smell Chanel#5 100 times?
Gaze at Pamela Anderson 100 times (ok, maybe that would be OK )
:)
I don't have an IPA on tap at the moment, I sort wish I did, but it's sort of a summer style IMO and its all gone now. Having said that, i'm not a fan of the extreme end of the style.

NEIPA "Newest Excrement In Pale Ales" also known as near bear whiz.... a bear that ate a lot of oranges or other tropical fruit... LOL Seriously, years ago when I was in High School back in Oshkosh NE(circa 1970), my Uncle was trying to pawn off fruit flavored malt liquor (fad at the time) to my Aunt, who almost took the bait. It's not beer. It's just some fruit concoction that happens to have hops and grains in it. You can call it Granny's Peach Tea, for all I care, and we all know what that ended up being.

Forgive me, as I quaff down some more Munich Dunkel.

IMG_0825.jpg

Haters gonna hate.

Really though how many lagers do you need that ideal beer bar to stock? One perfect one with that perfect German “it” character should be sufficient...ok maybe a dark one too? Beer bars with locally decent number of taps I visited recently in Germany had about 6 beers on tap and similar number of bottles. Half the beers were imported ales. Seems like that bar that only dedicated half of 46 lines to beers other than hoppy ales probably had it about right.

Dunno if it is in your area but August Schell's Brewery makes some okay beers... I grew up drinking the stuff so nothing special to me but they do a large variety of German style beer. Brewery was in New Ulm still so we got beer straight from them by the keg, and cases of "shorts"(bottles that are not quite full) that were unpasteurized and 1/2 price. Made for cheap parties as a teen!

http://schellsbrewery.com/our-beers/

Regarding Das IPa-Teichwasser.... ROFLMAO Several Germans I met year ago in Scottsbluff, NE referred to "American" beer as Pferd pissen. Lots of Germans from Russia in Western Nebraska, Polish... yes(Podkonyak), and Italians.... Ardisono and Olivini (an others) come to mind, and then there's the Mikoloyck in my High School (pronounced Mick-O-Lotchick) of Czechoslovakia origins. :)

Might I say that water structure makes a lot of difference in the bitterness of hops, at least in the bitter end. One of the lessons I learned is not to make beer with water from a water softner. I got a batch that was not quite finish purging the salt from the whole system and ended up with an excess of sodium, that made a relatively low IBU beer really bitter in the after taste.

Would love to see more porters, stouts, German beers in the store lineup. Had to find a liquor store (South Haven, MI) that carries Hofbräu München Dunkel, a bit pricey at 10.00/6 pack, but a very nice Dunkel.

View attachment 551836
Haters gonna hate.

Really though how many lagers do you need that ideal beer bar to stock? One perfect one with that perfect German “it” character should be sufficient...ok maybe a dark one too? Beer bars with locally decent number of taps I visited recently in Germany had about 6 beers on tap and similar number of bottles. Half the beers were imported ales. Seems like that bar that only dedicated half of 46 lines to beers other than hoppy ales probably had it about right.
Got it right for your tastes maybe, not mine. One perfect German lager, what? There's many different kinds that are completely different from each other. Much different than one IPA is compared to the next that's for sure. I don't understand why lagers get this boring all the same stigma, yet that same person will rave about the newest IPA that tastes exactly like the last 256 prior fruit citrus bombs that came out before it.

I really never got on board the IPA train. I got into homebrewing because after I turned 21 I found that most beers (macro light beers) weren't too my liking. I wanted to try winemaking but I had a friend who brewed beer so I figured I would give it a whirl.

After I started getting into beer making I started trying different varieties of craft beers, and I clearly remember getting a flight in Milwaukee that included a hoppy pale ale and an IPA. Not to my liking.

Ever since I figured out what the deal was with pale ales and IPAs, I've brewed more beers that finish their hop additions before 15 minutes to go in the boil. I don't see myself dry-hopping without a drastic change in my tastes.

I agree, however..... you can use a dogfish head 90'minuite IPA to clean the pallet. I find the 90 is more balanced than the 60, and also likely the best IPA I've ever had. IMO Everything else is sub par to dogfish-heads take on them.

I agree, however..... you can use a dogfish head 90'minuite IPA to clean the pallet. I find the 90 is more balanced than the 60, and also likely the best IPA I've ever had. IMO Everything else is sub par to dogfish-heads take on them.

I agree.
Dales pale ale isn't too bad either.
I once gave a homebrew to the company comedian and he said to me (jokingly thankfully) "Your horse has diabetes!" :D

Possibly. But someday, breweries will need to make real beer also, instead of 90% of their taps being over-hopped to the point where any lack of brewing skills are hidden and undetectable :) The "Pet Rock" and the "Sham Wow" sold millions and are still available for purchase. They just aren't dominating the market any longer.
This is so true. So many ppl in my town worship breweries that only do 2 or 3 styles with 2 styles being NEIPAs and Imperial stouts. 2 styles that are easy to cover up. I guess its not a big deal in the long run but i do wish ppl would stfu about it already. Where indeed is the real beer?

I enjoy the occasional IPA and NEIPA, but thankfully, since I brew, I get to enjoy any other styles as well. That said, I was in NYC last week (for the first time) and wanted to try as many local beers as I could (that are not nationally distributed). Every single IPA and DIPA was a NEIPA, and the other style offerings from these breweries were below average IMO. After my umpteenth IPA, I had to comment to the bartender that every single IPA I had tried in 10 days was a juicy, fruity, cloudy mess with low bitterness, and asked if they had any "traditional" american IPAs. He looked puzzled, and I said "More assertive bitterness, clear, piney, citrusy, dank." He shook his head and said "Naw, they don't sell". When the NEIPA fad passes, I can't help but wonder how these breweries (and thus taprooms) will survive.

Got to taste the 60 directly from the brite tank at Dogfish, for me it sets the bar for IPA’s, Dale’s pale ale is a good gauge for me as far as pale ales go, Union Craft duck pin pale ale out of Baltimore is where i set the bar for pale ales that’s been my favorite so far

Got it right for your tastes maybe, not mine. One perfect German lager, what? There's many different kinds that are completely different from each other. Much different than one IPA is compared to the next that's for sure. I don't understand why lagers get this boring all the same stigma, yet that same person will rave about the newest IPA that tastes exactly like the last 256 prior fruit citrus bombs that came out before it.

Meh, I lived in germany for 6 years near munich, and drank a crap-ton of beer. pretty much all the helles in bavaria tastes pretty much the same. There was greater diversity in the hefeweizens and darker beers. I'd guess beer from up north would probably taste different, but no one drank northern imports in southern germany back then. Maybe 1 bar in town had warsteiner, everything was immediately local.

Otoh, commercial beer, whatever.... I only buy other people's beer when I am not allowed to bring my own.

After brewing mostly IPA's for the last few years and drinking every IPA under the sun at the bars I think I hit an IPA wall. Maybe its the season but a nice malty beer just taste better lately. IPA's are starting to taste real bitter to me. Even the same beer I was liking a year ago.
I went to the LHBS last week and loaded up on grain. At the register the owner asked if I needed hops. I said I have a freezer full of hops and I'm getting IPA burnout, She laughed and said they're seeing a shift to maltier beers and light beers like cream ales so I guess its not just me

I'll still make one here or there with all the hops I have to use up but with the endless overload of IPA's popping up everywhere I think I got burntout...will see if it lasts
Frankly, I think your taste buds are maturing. I love a maltier beer as I get older. After all, there are more flavors than "bitter" in beer.

Honestly what is with the judgemental tone against people that still like hoppy beer.

Our tastebuds clearly aren't as refined or sophisticated as those who can appreciate a more "balanced" beverage. I'm confident that with enough determination and experience I will eventually get there. But for now I'm stuck sipping IPA's in ignorance with the rest of the peasants.

Honestly what is with the judgemental tone against people that still like hoppy beer.

What is with the defensiveness of the hopheads? Drink what you like and don't worry about the other guy. RDWHAHB.

I think that, to a large extent, it's a generational thing. I'm certifiably old (wanna see my Medicare card?). I distinctly remember what good old American Lager tasted like before the dawn of the Light Beer Era. Believe it, or not, but there was a time when there were dozens of beers available, mostly of the same style, but each with its own, distinct flavor and character, unlike today's bland, tasteless, rice lagers. A lot of older folks tend to see IPAs as an extension of the bland, BMC syndrome, in that hoppy beers tend to taste a lot alike. The NEIPA craze hasn't really developed nationwide, yet. We don't see much of that style here in the West. I've actually tried a couple, at a brewpub here in MT that brews a few NEIPA-ish beers, and thought they were pretty good, but not 8 bucks a pint good.

A frequent complaint in this thread has been that bars and taprooms dedicate too many taps to hoppy brews. Again, that's a generational thing. The appeal of hanging out in bars does diminish as one gets older. If the bar crowd is predominately made up of folks who came of age since the craft beer revolution began, and who think hops = craft beer, the bars, taprooms and brewpubs are, naturally, going to keep what most of the clientele wants on tap.

The Boomers and the Millennials are the two biggest bulges in American demographics today. The old folks have more disposable income, but the young folks hang out in bars more. There's your problem. It won't last forever, though. The Boomers are already dying off, and the Millennials are starting to settle down, raise families, and spend more time at kids' soccer games, PTA meetings, etc. and less time socializing. The next generation may not grow up liking beer at all, and any of us who are still here in, say, 10 years will be wondering what all the fuss over IPAs used to be about.

RDWHAHB.

Mark

Who is being judgemental towards individual people? Please show me. I see plenty of judgment towards breweries the current trend of 50%+ all taps being IPAs everywhere I go. And if you get defensive over that, I can't help you.

Good question. I can't stand sours but I've never complained about their existence or that other folks enjoy them...

Cheers!
Because it's disheartening to visit new breweries and they have 10 beers on tap. 5 of them were IPAs. That gets old.

If that happened to you with sours, you'd be just as justified in similar complaints.

I still love my Orval clone. it is slighty citrusy or fruity and then just a little bit sour.
man is that good stuff. Of my friends who "know" beers, they all love it. I'm going to have to make another batch before I run out.

Interesting thread! It's fun around here, I should have joined in sooner! I was never seriously infected by the super hopped virus, and lean to maltier more often than not. But I do enjoy IPA when i enjoy it. Two hearted is a favorite, and I keep a keg of my interpretation there of on hand most times. (At risk of being branded heathen - I will confess that I often drink is so cold it is almost turning to a squishy - And I love it that way.) I always think that discussions about where IPA sits in the landscape is almost summed up by a qoute from the late Skeeter Skelton:". . . saying that sourmash bourbon constitutes an unimportant factor in the diet of man. Maybe, but ain't there lots of it being put to use?" Ya likes what ya likes who am i to judge!

NEIPAs won't last forever just like anything else. Enjoy them while they are at their peak and by the time you get bored I'm sure there will be a new style on the horizon too. For me I love the depth of flavor that IPAs offer; they seem to me far more complex than just about any other beer style out there with not just the malt but also the hops to enjoy. At the same time I think there are a lot of underappreciated styles, brown ales, red ales, american lagers etc that just sit there in the background unnoticed.

Back