Iodophor and Honey???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saint_Doyle

Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed the bizarre reaction that occurs when your iodophor sanitizing solution comes in contact with anything that has had honey on it? It leaves a purple residue behind. I've been experimenting with honey beers lately and for the longest time couldn't figure out why the hose on my racking cane is getting discolored.

2012-02-05%252013.54.58.jpg

I'm going to assume that this residue won't contaminate anything, as it has been sanitized over and over again. But then again, I should probably just replace my racking cane hose as it will only cost two nickels to get a new one.

I'm not familiar with any reactions specific to honey, but Iodophor turns purple in the presence of starch. It's actually a nifty trick to check if your mash has undergone full conversion - just put some wort and a drop of iodine on a paper towel, chalk, paper plate, etc., and if it turns purple, you still have starch. Not sure why you're seeing that only with honey beers. Are you siphoning it after fermentation?

As for that being sanitary - it is. Just make sure to clean the hose before you sanitize it again. I usually soak my siphon in hot PBW water for a few minutes before rinsing and sanitizing, and haven't had to change my hose for about a year now. Just my $0.02

TB

Iodophor turns purple in the presence of starch. It's actually a nifty trick to check if your mash has undergone full conversion - just put some wort and a drop of iodine on a paper towel, chalk, paper plate, etc., and if it turns purple... you still have starch.

TB

I was listening to a Basic Brewing episode not long ago and they were talking about doing a starch test. The one thing they did mention was to NOT use a paper plate or any paper products because the paper itself contains starch. You will never get an accurate reading regarding the wort when using paper because the Iodophor will pick up the starch in the paper. Use a white plate.

Mark

I was listening to a Basic Brewing episode not long ago and they were talking about doing a starch test. The one thing they did mention was to NOT use a paper plate or any paper products because the paper itself contains starch. You will never get an accurate reading regarding the wort when using paper because the Iodophor will pick up the starch in the paper. Use a white plate.

Mark

Hmmm... makes sense. I wonder why that hasn't happened to me when I used a paper plate. I've never used a paper towel - I just heard that recommendation elsewhere.

TB

Hmmm... makes sense. I wonder why that hasn't happened to me when I used a paper plate. I've never used a paper towel - I just heard that recommendation elsewhere.

TB

Your paper plates are probably plastic coated, therefore no contact with starch in the paper. Try putting iodophor on the back of the plate.

Back