iodine testing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

do you iodine test??

• only tested a few times, but no longer required.

• as the pro brewer i am, i test everytime.

• i probably should test for starch...

• no sir, i don't believe in all that hog-wash!

Results are only viewable after voting.
if you can't find it on the shelf, ask a pharmacist. not sure if the 10% is good or if it's not. the iodophor sounds like a cost effective means.

I've done less than 10 AG batches and I try to check iodine if I have time, its neat and just want to check for any surprises. The grain/adjunct bill can affect how long conversion takes, but I've only mashed barley so far. Later if I start mashing other things like wheat, corn, low diastatic power grains and I'm trying to cut time off my mash, I'll be more interested in performing iodine tests through the mash instead of after an hour. Lately I've been too busy with other tasks during the mash.

I've been experimenting with short mash times and therefore have been testing lately. All I could find was povidone, and it seems to work just fine.

I only test if I want to do a mash shorter than 60 minutes or if I'm doing a really thick mash. Iodopher works and a white coffee cup work great, not special tools required. Just don't accidentally pour a cup of coffee in that cup before washing :).

super! i'll get some iodophor... a quart is only $12. might as well switch off with starsan once in a while to keep the house whores at bay.

Out of habit I usually test. But wouldn't matter if I forgot as I taste the wort and it's pretty obvious that it has converted.

I test by drinking 5 or 6 bottles of the finished product...if I start to feel funny, I got the conversion I was looking for!

Voted...I've never done an Iodine test. I'm cool with my results.:mug:

I was helping with a friend's second AG today and telling him how the iodine test can tell you if you are done "early". At 45 minutes the iodine said NO so we waited another 15 and came out good. The mash pH was off so I'm not sure if that was part of it, we also had some quick oats in there.

Back