Inverted V for the Coir Yarn

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gonzo brewer

Reaction score
I have these hop ryzomes coming:

2x Cascade
2x Centtenial
2x Chinook
1x Zeus
1x Magnum

I noticed diagrams of hops growing in an inverted V and a normal V pattern as well as verticle.

If you go inverted V, two hop plants at the ground will reach the top at the same point. If you go normal V, it appears that 1 hop plant has half the shoots running up one coir yarn, and half up the other.

Or I can make the coir yarn exactly vertical and one per mound (plant).

What are the pros and cons of each method?

I don't think there's a difference either way for the actual growing, it more has to do with making the harvest more accessible.

The inverted V is fine if you have two of the same plant varieties meeting at the top. Otherwise it will become difficult dicerning which hops are which.

The Normal V pattern is intended to make harvest easier by opening the plant up. Which also help with air circulation, sun exposure, and in some manner pest control.

Straight up works fine but puts more weight on a single support and causes the plant to be a bit more "bushy" thus making it a little harder come harvest time IF you plan to pluck the cones from the trellised plant.

I have a cable with a winch at one end, so I plan to slowly lower the hop bines down at harvest time. I have about a 40' length in which to fit the 8 hop plants.

I do have more than 2 of some varieties, but it sounds like a V shape is the way to go for best sun exposure. This also leads me to believe the yield will be higher because you are taking 2-3 shoots up one line and 2-3 shoots (from the same plant) up another.

Does this make sense?

Back