Into the keg or???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarryC

Reaction score
I have a batch of West Coast IPA that is sitting in my primary and it's going on 5 weeks now. I intended to keg it at about 3-4 weeks but I had some logistics issues - mainly I only have the keg and no CO2 components. A friend was going to loan me his CO2 set up but he ended up having to use it for his beer.

So now I'm getting a bit desperate and that brings me to this question - should I add some sugar to the keg & rac in the beer, wait a couple more weeks until I can get the CO2 rig or just go ahead and bottle it? The bottling option is a bit of a problem for me right now because I sliced my thumb pretty badly last week and I really don't want to be cleaning, sanitizing and transferring beer with a bum thumb if I can avoid it. Would kegging it with sugar be OK for a couple weeks until I had the O2?

Thanks for the help & Happy New Year!

if you don't plan on drinking it soon then just put it in the keg and let it sit until you get a CO2 setup. You can add sugar to try to carbonate it and it would work but without CO2 it will just go flat after a couple beers anyway so really there is no point. If you want to enjoy it prior to getting a CO2 setup then go ahead and bottle it.
just my 2 cents

My only reason for adding sugar to the keg (if I keg it) would be to create some CO2 in the keg while it sits. I know I would need the CO2 rig to dispense and keep it carbed (that's what the guy who was going to lend me his CO2 rig didn't realize)

add the sugar, let it carb for a couple weeks and tap into it once you get the CO2 setup.

Done

I added 3oz of sugar and rac'd it into the keg. If all goes well, I should have the CO2 tank & lines in about 2 weeks and we can start drainin' that thing!

By the way, the hydro sample smelled great and tasted really good - can't wait to try the finished product!

Back