Intertap Flow Control Faucet -- Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pvpeacock

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Okay, I just bought an Intertap Flow Control Faucet based on how much I liked the regular Intertap faucet with its optional internal spring and replaceable spouts (ball lock, growler filler and stout). I installed by flow control faucet last night and it works just fine, but I have a question about the flow control handle. I assumed that if flow controller was in one position it would be all the way closed and in the opposite position it would be all the way open. The flow rate would increase or decrease depending on where it was in relation to the two extremes. However, mine stops the flow of beer when in the up or down position and only pours beer when in between the two extremes. Is this correct or did I install it wrong?

I couldn't find anything on line about this, but it appears from videos of the Perlick flow control faucet that it works like I originally assumed it would (e.g.up = full flow and down = no flow). Any assistance would be appreciated.

That is correct. If you take it apart and watch how the control works you see that the control is fully engaged in either position up or down and fully open when level with the tap

On a side, i did read that the spring will not fit/work with the FC model. Have you managed to fit it and get it working?

Thanks. I assumed that it was working properly, but wanted to double check.

No, I did not try to put a spring on the flow control tap. I only used the spring on my non-flow control Intertap. It works great.

I just picked a few of these up and am pouring nothing but foam... any tips? It was my understanding I could regulate the flow regardless of the keg pressure (with in reason of course.) My goal was to be able to keep my kegs at carbing pressure and not have to drop it down to a serving pressure. I wanted to make that adjustment with the flow control

I just picked a few of these up and am pouring nothing but foam... any tips? It was my understanding I could regulate the flow regardless of the keg pressure (with in reason of course.) My goal was to be able to keep my kegs at carbing pressure and not have to drop it down to a serving pressure. I wanted to make that adjustment with the flow control

I'm having the same problem. I bought these so I could use them with shorter lines, but so far with a 5' and 7' line I get nothing but foam unless I restrict the flow so much that it takes 3 minutes to pour a beer. I'm at 12psi and 38-40 degrees.
I bought them as part of a 3 tap tower kit and I'm using the keg king 5mm lines that came with the kit. The 5mm lines look to be about the same diameter as the 3/16" tubing I have used in the past.

I reached out to Ben at KegKing and he came back with the following info, hope it helps.

Below is the combinations that should be used, providing that you're using the said 12psi at 0 Celsius.

4mm Internal Diameter - 2 meters
5mm Internal Diameter - 3.5 meters
6mm Internal Diameter - 7-8 meters

Flow Control taps don't take up all the slack when trying to pour a beer. They account for a small portion of pressure drop but you still need to have the lines at the correct length which is above if you want to have a beer pour correctly.

I reached out to Ben at KegKing and he came back with the following info, hope it helps.

Below is the combinations that should be used, providing that you're using the said 12psi at 0 Celsius.

4mm Internal Diameter - 2 meters
5mm Internal Diameter - 3.5 meters
6mm Internal Diameter - 7-8 meters

Flow Control taps don't take up all the slack when trying to pour a beer. They account for a small portion of pressure drop but you still need to have the lines at the correct length which is above if you want to have a beer pour correctly.

My 4 tap keggerator uses 3/16" lines from 3-6 feet, at 38° and 12psi. No issues. Before I bought the flow controls, my lines were about 10.5 feet long each. The flow controls work.

I have a feeling your issues are not enough air circulation, and your lines are warm. Possibly the out post dip tube o-ring is bad. Maybe a combination of things? I don't know... Many keggerators have their own unique issues.

:mug:

Flow control faucets will not help with an over-carbonated beer.

There's no such thing as 'carbing pressure' and 'serving pressure' in a properly designed serving setup.

I just wanted to make sure what the OP said is accurate. Will the flow control lever completely stop the flow of beer through the faucet? I would like to make sure this is true since these are not compatible with the self closing spring. I’d like to be able to put these in the off position when not in use to avoid accidental dispensing by bumping them.

I had foam issues as well with my FC intertaps, Until I lengthened my beerline to 11ft each... This resolved it as the 5 ft lines I was using were the cause of the foam for both my FC and non FC taps.

I also second that closing the lever will not completely stop flow...

can confirm, it will not stop the flow completely. But if that's truly something your looking for you could get the ball lock spout accessory and use it as an accidental spill preventive measure

Thanks guys for the reply. I believe from the video I watched the flow control shank adapter by Keg King is able to stop the flow completely. I think it’s a pretty cool option, but it does add two inches to my faucet length. The only concern is I don’t think it’s compatible with their self closing faucet spring, but if the flow control shank can stop the flow completely, I’m not sure I would want or need it.
Given the two options, flow control faucet or standard faucet + flow control shank, what would any of you choose?

I'd choose a non-flow-control forward seal stainless steel faucet, install the springs, use one foot of 3/16" ID beer line per psi of CO2, and be done with it.

fwiw, I installed the Intertap springs on my venerable half dozen Perlick 525SS faucets last winter and they work great...

Cheers!

can confirm, it will not stop the flow completely. But if that's truly something your looking for you could get the ball lock spout accessory and use it as an accidental spill preventive measure

It would be easier to just disconnect the keg ball lock adapter at that point, no?

Thanks guys for the reply. I believe from the video I watched the flow control shank adapter by Keg King is able to stop the flow completely. I think it’s a pretty cool option, but it does add two inches to my faucet length. The only concern is I don’t think it’s compatible with their self closing faucet spring, but if the flow control shank can stop the flow completely, I’m not sure I would want or need it.
Given the two options, flow control faucet or standard faucet + flow control shank, what would any of you choose?

I believe there may be a misunderstanding. keg king sells at least two different chinese flow control taps that I own and know of. A few of us that own the keg king (intertap as well as the older style keg king FC taps) flow control taps (complete with needed shank) have just stated (or confirmed) that it does NOT completely stop flow there will still be beer leaking from the tap if the leaver is left open.
Your correct the it will not work with the springs either. FYI this style fc tap is also sold under the "keg king" brand name...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Draft-Beer...887147&hash=item3af581ca3b:g:3LsAAOSwpYVZ8XfK. It works but it does stick bad when not used for a few days and can be a pain to turn off without over pouring which is why I no longer use it!

I like the ability to have it when I use my tap for nitro stouts or my keg is slightly overcarbed but its not necessary is you have full length (8-12ft long beer line to keg depending on diameter and tap height ) most kegerator setups come with 5ft lines which are way too short and cause a lot of foaming. in this case the FC does help but you still dont get a great pour due to foam.

Augiedoggy, I was referring to the flow control shank adapter as found here, https://www.williamsbrewing.com/FLOW-CONTROL-SHANK-ADAPTER-P4365.aspx. As seen in this video, [ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RtUwBwsZT7g[/ame], he has the adapter turned all the way to the off position and when he pulls the tap handle nothing pours out until he adjusts the adapter. I was considering this as an option.

It would be easier to just disconnect the keg ball lock adapter at that point, no?

I guess it would depend on your setup. If you can easily get to your disconnects than yes, but you risk a stuck poppet and the mess that causes. I know with myself and my brew buddy getting into the faucet vs. the QD is much easier.

Resurection

Couldn't find any info on my issue so I thought I'd try to piggy back on a thread where people seem to know what's going on with the faucets.

Issue:
I have recently bought a flow control intertap. Everything works ok except for the beer dosent have hardly any head retention and the head now consists of large bubbles that dissipate quickly instead of the tight bubbles with lacing all the way to the end of the pint like I had with my old faucet. The new faucet is not creating an excess of foam, just not what I'm used to. Ideas?

Resurection

Couldn't find any info on my issue so I thought I'd try to piggy back on a thread where people seem to know what's going on with the faucets.

Issue:
I have recently bought a flow control intertap. Everything works ok except for the beer dosent have hardly any head retention and the head now consists of large bubbles that dissipate quickly instead of the tight bubbles with lacing all the way to the end of the pint like I had with my old faucet. The new faucet is not creating an excess of foam, just not what I'm used to. Ideas?
how did you clean them? maybe theres some manufacturing oil left in them, other than that I dont think theres anything else that would cause what your describing.

Just bought and setup Intertap flow control faucet on my standard shank, running water thru tap just trickles with flow control fully open. Can't get more flow. IS there some other adjustment I need to make?

check to make sure the flow control is not completely turned to one end or the other. Fully open is actually in the middle. Another thing to consider is how much psi is pushing through your line.

Back