interpreting the bubbles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brendanb

Reaction score
hi, all.

being the idiot that i am, i totally busted my hydrometer about 2 seconds before i was going to take my og reading.

so i've had a pretty generic apa hangin out in primary for 3 weeks in my swamp cooler between 62-66 degrees on nottingham yeast.

before work the other day, i pulled it out and left it on the counter so it could settle back down by the time i got home, and then i could then rack it to keg.

when i got home, i noticed the carboy got up to around 70 degrees and it was kicking out a fair amount of bubbles again. i could see patches of the tiny bubbles that remind me of when the yeast is just getting started, and then there are occasional bigger bubbles that just blub up randomly and pop.

i've left it there for a few days now (still at around 70) and it's still going.

having no ability to read the gravity, should i just assume it's done, and that these bubbles are just the c02 escaping the beer? it wasn't a huge recipe or anything. the og should have been around 1.06, so i couldn't imagine there could be much going on after the initial fermentation (which was pretty strong for a few days.)

Well, should I point out that 3 weeks is plenty of time to have got a new hydrometer?

I would guess what you are seeing is off-gassing, but if you want to be sure, get a new hydrometer!

It's probably just CO2. Having said that......you had three weeks to get a new hydrometer. Better safe than sorry, especially since the yeast mighta quit on you at 62 degrees.

thanks, guys.

i'd have another hydrometer by now, but it's just such a pain to get to my lhbs (~1 hour each way on public transportation) that i save my trips for when i need a bunch of stuff...or at least more than one thing.

i'll just keep it at 70 for a couple more days and then rack to keg.

Best advice I've seen around here regarding hydrometers: buy a spare, because it's not a matter of if, but when it will break.

I know that doesn't answer your original question, but I thought I'd mention it, especially since it's a 2 HR round trip for you to get a replacement.

Back