Internal Thermostat replacement

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pariah3j

Reaction score
So I finally got my hands on something to use as a fermentation chamber. I found a decent sized wine fridge for about 50 bucks, its probably about a 5-ish cu sized fridge. It fits a 6g plastic carboy with 3 piece airlock and some room to spare up top. I see the STC-1000/Inkbird boxes that everyone is building, and I've been looking at that as an option. But I was curious, is there a way to replace the internal temp controller with a digital one internally instead ? Is there draw backs like moisture or some other reason for not doing this ? I'm not much of an electrician (and I did not stay in a Holiday Express last night :D) so excuse me if this is kind of a stupid/dense question.

I will post pics and manufacture/model later in case that may help - I'm at work and don't know off the top of my head.

That's essentially what you're doing with the STC type controllers. You set the fridge's thermostat to the coldest setting, then the fridge gets plugged into the STC and the STC switches power to the fridge on and off as needed. You're not exactly replacing the thermostat, but you're passing control to the STC. That said, on my keezer I did end up swapping out the original analog thermostat for an STC type controller. The wiring was so simple and accessible that there was no reason not to completely swap them out. Fridges tend to have more complex wiring (lights, door switches, etc) and the wiring usually is less accessible, so the KISS approach is to usually plug the fridge into a controller.

Back