Insulation enough or do I need a cold source?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mack25

Reaction score
Hey folks
Planning a single-use kegerator for a big ol' party. Basically, going to build a wooden frame, skin it with plywood or paneling, and a coffin box on top. It's going to hold three 15-gal kegs plus five 5-gal kegs.

I say single use, because it needs to keep the kegs cold for the duration (about 6 hours). After the party I'll probably repurpose/upgrade a lot of it, but reuse is definitely not the end in mind.

So, I'm going to insulate with the highest R-rating foam board I can find. What I'm wondering is if the kegs go in cold, do you think they'll stay cold through the night? The kegerator will be indoors, no summer heat to worry about.

I'm debating if I need to figure out some way to chill the inside. Maybe mount an old air conditioner and add a temp controller - a lot of work that would be unnecessary if that mass of beer would stay cold on its own.

Also wondering if I should load the coffin box up with cold packs to chill the taps and lines - might be unnecessary if they are in constant use.

Thanks for any ideas.

It probably will stay fairly cool, assuming it'll be indoors, but it might warm up just enough to ruin your last few beers(with that much beer, I'm assuming you'll be pretty drunk though). Maybe just line the box with plastic sheeting and use bags of ice for good measure? Just an idea

Thanks for the feedback.
Won't be too drunk, well over a hundred people will be drinking from it. So I'm guessing I don't need to keep the coffin cold - beer will be constantly moving from it.
Drunk or not though, I don't want to keep messing with it all night, opening it up, adding ice, etc. if I don't have to.

Back