Inner panel for controller enclosure - buying a metal sheet separately?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidD

Reaction score
The 10"x10"x6" metal enclosure I bought for my brewing controller build did not come with any inner panel. I was not entirely sure if it's fine mounting the interior parts to the back of the enclosure -- but if I wanted to get an inner panel, is okay to buy a simple 8x8 sheet of metal (steel, aluminum, etc.) and drill 4 holes to make my own?

The specific enclosure I bought at Zoro Tools is Wiegmann model SC101006:
http://www.zorotools.com/g/00059906/k-G1461311/

I didn't have the best luck finding metal sheets online, but ending up finding a few on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271181212524?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649
or
http://www.ebay.com/itm/281108676591?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Wiegmann makes the box and also has inner panels (mounting plates) on Zoro Tools but nothing within my size. They have one that is 6.88x6.88 but those are the distance between the center of the mounting holes on mine, and I fear that one won't be big enough. The 8x8 distance is about maximum that I can easily fit if I were to buy a separate metal sheet.

This is probably an easier question but I was uncertain.

www.onlinemetals.com or www.metalsdepot.com

Alternately, if you want a precut front or mid-mounted panel (with all mounting holes already cut) and have a layout in mind, I've heard good things about www.emachineshop.com. You'll have to use their proprietary CAD software that they claim is easy to use. I'm not sure what a single, one-off part will cost - it could be expensive.

Keeping in mind that this is a NEMA 1 enclosure ( not considered for outdoor use ) you can mount to the back of the box without affecting any rating issues. You will just have a mess of mounting screws out the back. Back panels are much more convenient as they allow you to layout and build onto the back panel first and then install into the enclosure.
If you build another one in the future maybe go with a NEMA 12 at minimum or a NEMA 4 which would be used in breweries because they are wash down rated. Probably not a big concern for the home brewer.

I think that your local hardware store (Lowes, HD, Menard's) probably sells sheet metal that you can cut and shape with a pair of tin snips, I know mine does. I don't know if it is OK to mount to, but I wouldn't see why not. I plan on doing just that w when I build my panel

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Home Brew mobile app

Sorry for the delay -- but I wanted to say thanks to everyone for their responses. I was able to find 8" x 8" sheets of various gauges of steel (and stainless steel) on eBay for reasonable prices that I'm planning on getting.

The custom cuts on Onlinemetals.com and metaldepot.com are cheap prices but with the shipping costs, it was cheaper to buy on eBay. Thanks again for everyone's responses.

For reference: Metal Remnants Inc. (metalremnantsinc) is the seller I'm planning to buy from on eBay. Link to their store: http://stores.ebay.com/Metal-Remnants-Inc?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

I had the same problem. I used a 1/4" piece of plywood and faced that with a piece of galvanized sheet metal typically used for ductwork. Just cut the metal about 1/2" larger in both directions and 'knock' the metal around the edges of the plywood using a hammer. This will give you a good ground plane for mounting your components on that will provide plenty of bite for using sheet metal screws.

For guys in the states.... almost any hardware store carries stock of sheet metal for very low prices.... like value, ace, home dopot, Lowes..... they will even cut it for you in many cases.
I found no use for one in my plastic box.... I just dilled into the plastic with short screws...

Latest posts

Back