Inline powermeter for brew setup?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Munimula

Reaction score
I am in the process of remodeling my basement and would like to add a dedicated space for brewing. This would be an all electric brew setup.

My question is does anyone know how to install a power meter? I'd like to add one inline between my main box and the spa subpanel that I will be running the system off of. I've done the numbers and electric costs to brew are quite low but my wife seems to think I'm going to jump our power bill $200 bucks a month.

So for her peace of mind and my curiosity I want to meter my usage off that specific outlet. Just having trouble finding any info on how to go about this.

from kal's theelectricbrewery: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/FAQ#What_are_the_electrical_costs_to_brew_with_electricity_

It costs us about $1.60 in electricity to brew 10 gallons of beer, assuming we brew during peak electrical rates ($0.12/kWh).

I couldn't possibly see it being more than $5 per batch, running a 5500w element for 6 hours straight would be 33 kWh.

I've read the same info and will be using a clone of kal's setup.

I'm looking mostly to track total power used in my setup. The first few runs would be individual. But after that I'd like to keep a total. Kind of like tracking the total amount of beer brewed.

Just out of pure curiosity.

You mean like this? Looks pretty easy to install just hook it inline on the main hot wires coming into your panel. Its din rail mountable so you could probably even put it right in your control panel if your have a big enough enclosure.

You mean like this? Looks pretty easy to install just hook it inline on the main hot wires coming into your panel. Its din rail mountable so you could probably even put it right in your control panel if your have a big enough enclosure.

Thats a good find. The din mount digital is awesome but a little more cash then i'd like to spend. If a brew day cost $1.50 that thing would cost about 100 brew days after tax and shipping. lol

However the link described it as a kWh meter which for some reason I couldn't think of before so now maybe I can search for some more alternatives. Thank you for the post.

Back