Inkbird IBS-TH1

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Murphys_Law

Reaction score
I am looking at picking up an Inkbird IBS-TH1 to monitor my mash temps and/or my wort temp when I start cooling but was wondering if the external probe would be OK in hot liquid. I know it says it measures up to 212 but would the cord withstand those types of temps?

Seems like a decent price and thought I'd try it but was wondering if anyone here has had any firsthand experience.

Amazon.com: Inkbird Wireless Thermometer and Hygrometer Use Android and iOS Smart Sensor Data Logger with External Aquarium Probe for Aquarium Pet Shrimp Coral Fish Aquatic Pets: Home & Kitchen

Gotcha. I would say try it out but do it in a kettle of hot water to see if the probe cord gives off any weird flavors. Obviously if it doesn't go for it! I have the new probeless model the th2 and it's pretty awesome.

Be warned: currently there seems to be a problem with the logged data of IBS-TH1 and/or the Engbird app, resulting in lossy/incorrect data logs.

See this thread over at Inkbird's forum:
https://community.inkbird.com/t/ibs-th1-incorrect-logging-of-data/9596
I also just encountered it.. bought an IBS-TH1 to monitor my fermentation temp.
I used their Engbird app to access it's logged data but it looked really odd.
It seemed every 5th or 10th data point had an actual measurement. The rest in between are just interpolated.

What's worse is that previously logged data points magically changed once I pulled the recently logged data.
In the above thead there is a vague explanation by InkBird. The data sent off the device is compressed, which produced the weird pattern.
Seems like a lossy compression that discards most of your real data points.

Bummer because I really love their handheld temp probe IHT-1S. But this makes me lose confidence in their products

You could add a thermowell with 1/2" npt. That's what I do with my other Inkbird products for my fermenters.

I really wanted to like that unit to use as a cheaper wifi data recorder than say their wifi temperature controller. However, it's weak. I have taken to keeping it outside in my greenhouse, (cheap plastic option). If I am not right on top of it, I can't get any data. Also, Inkbird has not included it on their supposedly latest app version. The model has been around for long enough to do so. The Engbird app is needed. I thought it would be useful because it includes the probe and it's hard to find an equivalent data logger that is wifi that has the probe (sans temperature controller). I don't recommend it. It doesn't seem well supported for some reason either. I will have to read the link provided by @DubbelTrubbel.

...now I am seeing this was an older thread. Maybe we'll get a report back on how it went.

Back