Inkbird 308

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jag75

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Do you have to have a heat source connected? I set it up on a Ge chest freezer . Set it for 53F set the temp probe in a cup of water . Checked it a few hours later and it was down to 40F!! I turned down the setting on the freezer itself to see if I can get it to stay at 53 because 8m going to do a Lager Thursday.

No, you don't need a heat source connected.

Are you sure you have the freezer plugged into the right receptacle, i.e., it's in the cooling one, not the heating one? You wouldn't be the first.

What you want to do is set the freezer COLD, and let the Inkbird control it via the plug to the freezer. When a freezer shuts off it still cools for a bit as the coils are still cold. How much water is there in the cup? If there's very little, you will drive that lower than the set point. Also, where is the cup located? I have my temp probe in a pint canning jar (hole in the lid) and I set that on the compressor hump.

Yes its plugged in the cold side . Cup was about 14 oz in a plastic Starbucks cup with no lid . Sitting at the bottom towards the middle.

Yes its plugged in the cold side . Cup was about 14 oz in a plastic Starbucks cup with no lid . Sitting at the bottom towards the middle.

Is the freezer otherwise empty?

That would cause the results to overshoot. The freezer is cooling and cooling and cooling until the water finally hits the set point--but by then, the ambient in the freezer is WAY below the set point, so the water keeps chilling and chilling....

In my keezer I have generally 5 kegs in various states of emptiness. They act as a significant thermal mass to absorb any "excess" cooling until the water in the jar reaches the set point. Thus whatever excess cooling there is also is acting on the beer, so the temp reaches equilibrium more readily.

Ok I filled a carboy up with water to set in there for thermal mass . The temp was 39. Gonna check it out tomorrow . I hope I get this dialed in for my brew day on Thursday

Your issue might be that you have the probe in water. It takes longer for the water to change temp than the ambient temp of the keezer. Once it stabilizes you should be good. BUT, I have my probe just hanging freely in my keezer, and the temp on my inkbird matches a digital thermometer I have hanging in the keezer within a degree.

I just checked the temp and its reading 50*. Temp is set to 53 so that's not too bad. Looks like just a little time is all it took along with some thermal mass . Thanks guys for the help :ban:

Your issue might be that you have the probe in water. It takes longer for the water to change temp than the ambient temp of the keezer. Once it stabilizes you should be good. BUT, I have my probe just hanging freely in my keezer, and the temp on my inkbird matches a digital thermometer I have hanging in the keezer within a degree.

This is true; however, you tend to have the freezer cycle a lot more this way. It's why I have my probe in water, so it's not constantly turning on and off.

Been 24hrs and this thing is underway . 53f and beer is looking good !
20190316_080445.jpg

Latest posts

Back