Initiated

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaltyRod

Reaction score
I had considered myself lucky on my first batch, cooked up nice didnt lose a drop, got it in the primary, had a good fermentation, clean on over to the secondary, sittin at about 1.013 for a couple days will bottle soon. So bought an extra Carboy a few days ago and tried my hand at a second batch. I did my first batch out on the porch used a camp stove with the pump type liquid fuel cylinder and as inefficent as this sounds it would bring 1.5 gallons to a boil in about 20-25 minutes and hold a rolling boil for the full cook time as long as i'd give it a few pumps every 15 minutes or so........Well my second batch must of needed more cooking time than the first or I just used the fuel faster, because it went empty on me close to the end, so here I go rush in the house turn the electric stove on high throw my wort on, get it up to boiling again..... good... stir.... okay reset timer... step out of the room to get the girls ready for bed..... my oldest daugher goes in kitchen 10 seconds after I step out to get a drink... "Uhhhh Daddy!!!!" I run back in and at least a quart of my wort is now puddled on the top of my stove (insert some mental expletives here)..... So not sure how this batch will turn out but ended up extracting about a half of it back in my pot with a turkey baster, bringing it back up to a boil for 10 minutes adding in my finishing hops and then into my Primary. doing nicely in the fermentation now.... fingers crossed. *Making mental note to save up for that Propane burner, maybe see if the turkey fryers are going on sale soon*

P.S Did I Mention how much fun it is to clean wort off a hot stove....side of stove...floor....side of fridge....feet.....walls..... :D

:D Yes sir, you are definitely a homebrewer. Most of us have been there, done that. Those who don't, don't know what they're missing. ;)

The turkey fryer works great, I got mine from a friend who bought three!? He didn't need the burner part, just the pot. ???? OK, who am I to question someone who's giving me a free burner? I'd recommend buying the absolute largest fryer/brew kettle you can possibly get so you can do full wort boils. Larger also means less chance of boilover.

Congrats on your initiation!

just make sure that you dont use the aluminium kettle that came with the turkey cooker. I bought a turkey deep fryer for 40$ at dunams sporting goods. just use the aluminium kettle that came with it to keep my sani water in with my untensils

MaltyRod said:
... maybe see if the turkey fryers are going on sale soon...

Welcome to the hobby! :) Man, I just saw an ad over the weekend that somebody had turkey fryers on sale for around $40, but I can't remember who. I know, a lot of help I am! But Wal-Mart usually has them on sale for around $48. I got mine at Farm & Fleet for about that price and have been happy so far.

Punn said:
... just make sure that you dont use the aluminium kettle that came with the turkey cooker. ...

Are you referring to the size of the pot or the fact that it is aluminum? Size matters - the bigger the better for boilover prevention.

Aluminum pros & cons have been discussed here before. There really is no hard scientific evidence that aluminum is harmful for doing your wort boils in. I've been using aluminum for seven years; in fact, I just purchased a new, huge, food service aluminum pot when I graduated to all grain three weeks ago.

I wouldn't store anything in aluminum long-term, but it's fine for boiling. I use the aluminum pot that came with my turkey fryer set up to hold my sparge water and my original seven year old aluminum pot to warm my mash water. :D

so your saying that i can use my aluminium 10 gallon pot!!! that would be awsome.... man I could double batch then!!!!!!!!!!!!

I use stainless steel brew kettles, but I wouldn't be too afraid of using an aluminum one. You're probably getting more aluminum content from a can of diet soda than you are from a batch brewed in an aluminum pot. Just my opinion. If you can afford stainless, go for it.

Brewed in an aluminum kettle??? Who cares! I'll help you drink it!

I don't think there would be an off flavor from the aluminum. They put beer/soda in aluminum cans. Also from a physical standpoint, you would probably get cirhossis(sp?) of the liver from all the beer you'd have to drink before you suffered any ill effects from aluminum. JMO.

However, I do brew with stainless steel kettles. That's just what I purchased when setting up my brewery.

Punn said:
so your saying that i can use my aluminium 10 gallon pot!!! that would be awsome.... man I could double batch then!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep! In fact, here is what I bought just a few weeks ago!

They were on sale at the time. I went in to buy 40 qt. brewpot for $43.49, which was a great deal. I sprung for a cover, which set me back an additional $7.00. It was supposed to have been a pot with a 4mm thick wall. But they sold me the “-H” unit - a 8mm thick pot - for the same price!

I had to clean it pretty thoroughly with warm water and mild soap to get the aluminum 'dust' off the surface. But it was worth the effort. It’s a beautiful piece of kitchen hardware.

Rhoobarb said:
I had to clean it pretty thoroughly with warm water and mild soap to get the aluminum 'dust' off the surface. But it was worth the effort. It’s a beautiful piece of kitchen hardware.

I just had one of those, "WHAT the F---" momemnts...How many forums can there be where a group of guys are not only excited, but talk about "beautiful piece of kitchen hardware".... ahh well, guess I will have to go ponder it over another brew.

Shmohel said:
...How many forums can there be where a group of guys are not only excited, but talk about "beautiful piece of kitchen hardware"....

Yeah, really! :D I honestly don't think I'd have ever used that term before I began homebrewing!

Back