Initial Wiring Setup for an eHERMS. Need 2x 240V and 1 120V GFCI

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gavin C

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello.

I am in the very embryonic stages of setup up an e-brewery in my garage. Eyeing some shiny bling from Blichman. A turnkey setup and the requirements are as listed in the title. Not tied to that idea but it seems like it will fit my space and time well. I want to be able to run 2 elements concurrently.

2 x 240v and 1x 120V. I've got the 120V GFCI already in position but might prefer to leave that unused. My brewery spot is beside my houses electrical panel.

No space remains in the panel. There is 1 unused 30A breaker in the regular panel however. perhaps I can run a 50A panel from a breaker in it.

I would like to have my brewery have it's own dedicated panel to supply the 2 240V outlets.

I also am looking at installing a vent and will need to power that too.

Can one sub panel (not entirely sure on the terminology ) be used to feed the outlets and vent if I get the right one. 50 or 60A with enough spots for breakers.

All the hits I'm getting just show install of 1 240V outlet or a spa and I'm not finding what I need.

Any pointers or links to useful threads or vids or breaker boxes I need or anything of use would be useful.

Thanks

How big of a system are you looking for? If you're sticking to 5 or 10 gallon batches there's really no need for two elements to be live at the same time so a single 30 amp circuit is enough.

How big of a system are you looking for? If you're sticking to 5 or 10 gallon batches there's really no need for two elements to be live at the same time so a single 30 amp circuit is enough.

Looking at 10-15 gallons with the option of back to back batches.

Also the turnkey setup I'm eyeing as an option has two elements with an outlet needed for each.

27726_1800x1800.jpg

Not sure I'm going this route but do want the option of two elements heating concurrently

Hey Gavin! Good to see you on the forums, it's been awhile

In order to proceed with what you are asking would recommend replacing the unused 30amp breaker with a 50amp GCFI and running it to a NEMA 6-50L female outlet directly below your panel. It's easy to run the jacketed wire behind the sheet rock and if it's a short run then it's to code as well.

Then you can plug your brew panel into an outlet. I'm not sure I understand the advantage of a dedicated panel as opposed to plugging your brew panel into an outlet, so forgive me if this doesn't meet your needs.

Just for reference, I run a 5500w element +2 blichmann riptide pumps and pull 23 amps maximum.

Hey Gavin! Good to see you on the forums, it's been awhile

In order to proceed with what you are asking would recommend replacing the unused 30amp breaker with a 50amp GCFI and running it to a NEMA 6-50L female outlet directly below your panel. It's easy to run the jacketed wire behind the sheet rock and if it's a short run then it's to code as well.

Then you can plug your brew panel into an outlet. I'm not sure I understand the advantage of a dedicated panel as opposed to plugging your brew panel into an outlet, so forgive me if this doesn't meet your needs.

Just for reference, I run a 5500w element +2 blichmann riptide pumps and pull 23 amps maximum.
Thanks this is really useful. I don't have a panel. The turnkey setup I showed doesn't use one. It just needs two 240V outlets and 1 120V which is there already. The way you describe sounds very straight forward.

If I go the panel route 1 50A outlet would be ideal and then run the panel off it.

Thanks.

@Bobby_M Thanks for the advice too. I'm perhaps looking for more juice than I need but I'd hate to go small and want to go bigger later. Prefer to have the option of the two elements.

Are there even options for 2 240V outlets off 1 panel? I'm that level of ignorant when it comes to this sort of stuff. Seen RV panels with a 50 and 30 A but that is far too big. A 50-60 A panel is all I need. If I can plug that into a 50A outlet that would be good.

With the 2 controllers on the Blichman something like this is what I had in mind

VemXyeZ.jpg

Another approach is to use a pair of Blichmann Brewcommanders for your controllers. If you go that way, you'll want to run a 50amp GFCI main breaker and go to breakout box that has a pair of L6-30R receptacles and pair of 5-15R receptacles for the pumps. If you want to be extra cautious, that box (subpanel) can have 25 amp breakers for each controller outlet and a 15 amp breaker for the 120v pump outlets.

Another approach is to use a pair of Blichmann Brewcommanders for your controllers. If you go that way, you'll want to run a 50amp GFCI main breaker and go to breakout box that has a pair of L6-30R receptacles and pair of 5-15R receptacles for the pumps. If you want to be extra cautious, that box (subpanel) can have 25 amp breakers for each controller outlet and a 15 amp breaker for the 120v pump outlets.
Yes. The 2 blichman controllers are what I'm taking about in my OP. They come with the 10gallon eherms already built in. 2 240V outlets needed. No seperate control panel.

Is there a ready made product for this or is it a DIY affair?

Having trouble finding a 4 prong NEMA 60L female outlet. They all seem to be 3

square-d-individual-subpanels-qo612l100ds-64_1000.jpg

I think this would do the job. Id be able to run 2 240V GFCI protected outlets and 1 20A GFCI 110V outlet off this.

1 50A breaker in my home's main panel to feed the surface mounted subpanel.
You could have that box wired as a sub-panel, and have it feeding two 240V and one or more 120V outlets.

Brew on :mug:

I built a system similar to what you describe. It has kind of evolved over time as my brewing has evolved. Anyway it’s a remote breaker panel that powers two control panels driving 5500w elements, and an overhead lighted exhaust vent. The idea was to run the rims system while boiling. To be honest, I never use the second panel other than for using the PID to measure temperatures. Most of the control panel components are from Auberins. Good luck, Max
81A3C2C5-FF1F-4919-BA9C-8E34B18368E8.jpeg

Back