[Initial Release] RaspberryPints - Digital Taplist Solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wasn't clear enough: you only have to install one kit, and that one should be the kit with the last/latest hotfix...

Cheers!

Thanks!

What are the instructions for applying the hotfix?

I was able to use my macbook terminal to shutdown the RPi. Hopefully today I can get it out and connected to the TV where the beer taps are actually at.

What is the business about motion sensors? So that the screen will come on when someone approaches the taps?

TD

Are you using Firefox? It displays weird in Firefox and IE. Looks correct in chrome/chromium

You can unplug it but you run the risk of messing up the os. The preferred way is:

sudo shutdown -h now

When logged in via command line or you can use the shutdown button on the desktop.

How do you confirm it has shut down? There still appears to be a red light illuminated. says PWR on the PCB.

TD

You can ensure that it is shutdown by removing the USB cord that's powering it.

Thanks!

What are the instructions for applying the hotfix?

Dude, seriously, stop. You're killing me here ;)

The "hotfix" is already in the downloadable installation kit, and the last one (hotfix 1.0.3) has all of the earlier hotfixes included. You don't need to do anything other than install just that last version - you do not need to install any of the earlier versions - just the last one.

What is the business about motion sensors? So that the screen will come on when someone approaches the taps?

Exactly. I also have it play music while anyone is hanging around the keezer.

How do you confirm it has shut down? There still appears to be a red light illuminated. says PWR on the PCB.

That's all that one red LED indicates: that there is power being applied to the board. When viewing the string of LEDs with the USB ports to your left, there's a green LED immediately to the right of the red power LED that indicates "activity". If you stare at that for a minute and it never blinks it's safe to assume the processor has halted...

Cheers!

Dude, seriously, stop. You're killing me here ;)

The "hotfix" is already in the downloadable installation kit, and the last one (hotfix 1.0.3) has all of the earlier hotfixes included. You don't need to do anything other than install just that last version - you do not need to install any of the earlier versions - just the last one.

Exactly. I also have it play music while anyone is hanging around the keezer.

That's all that one red LED indicates: that there is power being applied to the board. When viewing the string of LEDs with the USB ports to your left, there's a green LED immediately to the right of the red power LED that indicates "activity". If you stare at that for a minute and it never blinks it's safe to assume the processor has halted...

Cheers!

Thanks for helping a technologically challenged old dude. Before seeing this thread, I thought sudo was the name of that sidekick for "the shadow". but seriously, I get that I'm a dope when it comes to this technology, so thanks for your patience.

I was able to download the hot fix to my PC, but not sure what to do with the file is all. I get that I need to install it on the RPi, but I don't really know how to do that. I can manage transferring it to the RPi using that Windows wisp or whatever the little app is called that lets me see the RPi file structure. Probably need to use that putty app next to get command line on the RPi, or else use my Mac terminal app to do the same. Where do I copy the hot fix files to and commands do I issue, or is there an RPi equivalent of an installation executable or batch file?

So it seems I must've missed a prequel thread talking about flow meters and motion detectors. Is there a link back to that thread so I can read up on the motion sensors. That would be a useful feature.

Seems I was able to power down the RPi successfully following your instructions. Thanks for the info about the lights.

TD

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Dude just save yourself some time and hook a monitor mouse and keyboard up to the pi until you get it working. If you don't know how to use Linux then sshing into the terminal to use sudo commands is gonna punch you in the face. At least on the pi desktop you have a familiar interface to work with

[...]I was able to download the hot fix to my PC, but not sure what to do with the file is all. I get that I need to install it on the RPi, but I don't really know how to do that. I can manage transferring it to the RPi using that Windows wisp or whatever the little app is called that lets me see the RPi file structure. Probably need to use that putty app next to get command line on the RPi, or else use my Mac terminal app to do the same. Where do I copy the hot fix files to and commands do I issue, or is there an RPi equivalent of an installation executable or batch file?

Do you not have a local display on your RPi? If you do I'd say keep things simple and use the LXterminal app. Otherwise you're going to need something like Putty on your pc.

The "Build Your Own" link on the RaspberryPints site will guide you through the entire build process step-by-step. Once you manage to copy the Raspberry Pints installation kit (please, let's not use "hotfix" any longer!) to your RPi just walk through the installation instructions.

So it seems I must've missed a prequel thread talking about flow meters and motion detectors. Is there a link back to that thread so I can read up on the motion sensors. That would be a useful feature.

No prequel thread, really. Everything's in here somewhere. Brew up some coffee and start from the beginning, it'll be worth it in the long run.

Seems I was able to power down the RPi successfully following your instructions. Thanks for the info about the lights.

Cheers! :mug:

Dude just save yourself some time and hook a monitor mouse and keyboard up to the pi until you get it working. If you don't know how to use Linux then sshing into the terminal to use sudo commands is gonna punch you in the face. At least on the pi desktop you have a familiar interface to work with

Ya thanks!

In its ultimate placement location, it'll have only WiFi access. The WiFi dongle I'm using was one I already had, and it's not the greatest. I'd already powered it down and disconnected everything in plan for permanent placement by beer taps. I did get the slick recommended wireless keyboard/mouse. I'll make sure to install the USB receiver into the RPi before I place the Rpi behind the flat panel tomorrow, because once it's there, it's gonna be a PITA to get to. This will surely make things easier on my lacking old man computer skills. Back in the day I could out DOS and config.sys setup all my friends. Anyone remember EGA graphics? Times have changed, but I suspect once it get it up and running (and it seems to be running fine), that I'm gonna leave it alone except for changing what is on tap and stuff, which might be easier to do remotely with the web interface.

For the price of all this stuff needed for the build, this thing is really awesome.

TD

Ya thanks!

In its ultimate placement location, it'll have only WiFi access. The WiFi dongle I'm using was one I already had, and it's not the greatest. I'd already powered it down and disconnected everything in plan for permanent placement by beer taps. I did get the slick recommended wireless keyboard/mouse. I'll make sure to install the USB receiver into the RPi before I place the Rpi behind the flat panel tomorrow, because once it's there, it's gonna be a PITA to get to. This will surely make things easier on my lacking old man computer skills. Back in the day I could out DOS and config.sys setup all my friends. Anyone remember EGA graphics? Times have changed, but I suspect once it get it up and running (and it seems to be running fine), that I'm gonna leave it alone except for changing what is on tap and stuff, which might be easier to do remotely with the web interface.

For the price of all this stuff needed for the build, this thing is really awesome.

TD

If your dongle dosen't work from where you set it up I would get the one from the link on RaspberryPints.

I was having lots of problems with mine. I was getting all kinds of weird messages when I tried to open it up from one of my computers. It has settled down now and works fine where I have it set up.

Yes there was a previous thread talking about the flow sensors and it sounds like they are getting close to releasing v2 which will have the flow sensors.

Information on the motion sensor can be found at post #796.

Adding sound can be found at post #879 when motion is detected.

A seperate thread about Web-Accessible Temperature sensors to be piggy backed onto the RaspberryPints can be found at:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/web-accessible-temperature-logger-raspberry-pi-469523/

I've learned how to tweek some of the files to customize my Tap list from here and Googling. When I get done with the next version I'll post a picture.

Good luck.

:off: Now off to juice up about 300 pounds of Prickly Pear fruit. :fro:

Flow meters and the plastic 3/8" OD to 1/4" barb inserts arrived today!
The meter leads are plenty long enough, close to 5' long, and they're terminated with 3 pin receptacles (.1" pitch) so they'll plug right over a typical header.

First thing was to come up with a temporary way to bring the meter signals and power into the keezer. I doubt I've ever been so excited to dig up an IDE cable from the bottom of my random parts bin!

The meter terminations will plug into one end using a straight single row header in between, and I built a little patch board for the other end to cut down the connections to the AlaMode to 5V, GND, and the six meter signals. Should be fairly manageable, and the IDE cable will lay nice and flat between the keezer lid and chassis out the back. Didn't have any 2.2K resistors but I suspect the 3.3K's I did have should work fine.

Getting close to being ready! :ban:

Cheers!

flow_meter_cable_01.jpg

flow_meter_cable_02.jpg

That is a brilliant idea. I like it. <rummages through my massive tupperware box of assorted computer parts/cables>

But are resistors really necessary?

That is a brilliant idea. I like it. <rummages through my massive tupperware box of assorted computer parts/cables>

But are resistors really necessary?

No. Most of us are hooking them directly to the alamode board.

No. Most of us are hooking them directly to the alamode board.

As I'll be running the meters on 5V I'm pretty sure there's no need for current dropping resistors. But someone has to provide a pull-up resistor for the meter output because they are open-collector type and can only be driven low by the meter.

So, either a discrete, or the Arduino inputs have to be programmed for pull-up duty - assuming that's possible.

If you could confirm the latter is indeed the case (I have not had a chance to peruse the 'Pints AVR source code as of yet) I'll be happy to remove my redundant pull-up resistors...

Cheers!

[edit] AVR inputs can indeed be configured with internal pull-ups, and I'm betting that's what's been done on V2, but I posted the question on the Github flow meter setup thread. There is a bit more to this than meets the eye...

Thanks for all the help guys!
I got it all setup and working! An old fart like me, and in less than a week! I can access from my networked PC to alter the taplist, and I can enter the RPi via the USB keyboard/touchpad directly!
Is there a way to change the overscan settings ? I had configured it all on my PC, but my TV set it displays differently. Can font sizes be changed for fitting more taps into the screen? I'm hoping changing the overscan settings will fix it, but I'm thinking I may need a hare more room.
Still need to investigate the motion sensor and music/sound playback. That seems pretty cool to me.

TD

edit-
i figured out how to enable / disable the overscan. Seems my TV does need overscan enabled so that's not the fix i'll be needing. I was not able to re-initiate the interactive deal where you adjust the overscan settings in real time. It'd be rather painful to attempt to manually go through and set the overscan individually when its so darn hot and humid out right now. In the meantime I was able to adjust the zoom using ctrl shift + and - keys so get the last tap displayed on the screen. there is a bit of a margin below, but no big deal. would be great if I could figure out to easily change the font sizing and tap spacing layout on the screen, but that would just be gilding the lily at this point. Its pretty dang cool!

thanks again!

Just put an offer in for my flow meters! I'm curious though, where are you guys purchasing the Alamode board from? I've seen here that our options are a bit limited but I'm wondering for those of you who already have one, where you purchased it from?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I have to assume that rPints will work just the same on a rPi b+, but please correct me if I am wrong. That said will the alamode work with a b+ and/or does anyone know if there will be an updated one for the b+? I am trying to decide if I should wait a little longer to buy parts or just pull the trigger now. Assuming for longevity it would be beneficial to buy the most recent hardware for this. Anyone's thoughts?

I have to assume that rPints will work just the same on a rPi b+, but please correct me if I am wrong. That said will the alamode work with a b+ and/or does anyone know if there will be an updated one for the b+? I am trying to decide if I should wait a little longer to buy parts or just pull the trigger now. Assuming for longevity it would be beneficial to buy the most recent hardware for this. Anyone's thoughts?

It runs fine on the B+ (I'm running mine on the B+ with alamode)

The alamode plugs in to the first 20 pins on the gpio.

at this point, I would recommend the B+ and alamode. The B+ is nice because it has 4 USB ports and the microsd card slot.

From all appearances most shields that interface via the version B 26 pin GPIO header definition will still connect and work, and looking at my AlaMode I don't think it'll be an exception to that. With an OS build post-June 2014 everything 'Pints or BrewPi related should work just fine.

If I needed a third 'Pi (it could happen ;) ) it'd be a B+...

Cheers!

I was reading another forum on the topic earlier. Says yeah the alamode will connect but some of the solder points on bottom make contact with the Ethernet port and 1 of the USB ports. I don't know if it's true.

The AlaMode comes with a rubber pad to stick underneath that provides positive spacing above the metal shields for the USB and network connectors on the Pi. Should be no different on the B+, I bet the USB connector stack in the middle would be a good target...

Cheers!

I see that many people add a RaspberryPints to a Keezer or other such home-built contraption. Under those circumstances, are people using a separate temperature controller for the refrigeration or does raspberrypints have this ability as well?

I see that many people add a RaspberryPints to a Keezer or other such home-built contraption. Under those circumstances, are people using a separate temperature controller for the refrigeration or does raspberrypints have this ability as well?

The current version of RaspberryPints does not do anything with temp control. There are some out there who have hacked the code to add temp monitoring, but it does not control when the compressor kicks on or anything, its just a display of temps.

That being said, you could using the alamode interface for the flow meters, add a temp probe and an ssr that would control the compressor like the stc-1000s or other controlers....

That is not something we had planned for the Raspberry Pints software.

To the wonderful creators of this application, do you have any thoughts on creating a V2 thread here? With almost 150 pages (yes I've read them all from day 1), it might be handy to start a new one with some of the most useful posts in this thread, plus new V2 info. It would save on people asking questions over and over and being told to go back and read the thread. That being said, there is a lot of good information and reading the entire thread is useful, though a lot of people new to rpints won't want to read 143 pages. Just a thought.

Awesome work, by the way! Now I just need to learn to solder when my alamode board gets here. Thanks for all the work you have put in to this. It is much appreciated!

To the wonderful creators of this application, do you have any thoughts on creating a V2 thread here? With almost 150 pages (yes I've read them all from day 1), it might be handy to start a new one with some of the most useful posts in this thread, plus new V2 info. It would save on people asking questions over and over and being told to go back and read the thread. That being said, there is a lot of good information and reading the entire thread is useful, though a lot of people new to rpints won't want to read 143 pages. Just a thought.

Awesome work, by the way! Now I just need to learn to solder when my alamode board gets here. Thanks for all the work you have put in to this. It is much appreciated!

Just go into forum options here and change it from default to "show 40 posts per page" and you will only have 36 pages.
</unhelpful comment>

I'm ambivalent about it.

This thread with a hella lot of relevant content could disappear "below the fold" if another 'Pints thread is started. On the other hand, many folks plunge right in without starting "at the beginning" resulting in re-asked questions so the content was lost to them anyway. Finally, on the third hand, the V2 roll-out and the expected metric crap ton of issues as users at various electrical, mechanical, programming and system management skill levels try to get their systems running (and then customized - where the real fun will be) will likely double the depth of this thread in no time and the prior content will be even less likely to be read.

So, yeah, I'm ambivalent.

But if I had to decide, I'd say start a new thread...

Cheers!

[edit] ...and for the sake of good order, if that's the way to go, let us allow one of the RaspberryPints team to start the thread...

What type of enclosure is everybody using to hold the alamode and the rpi? Im thinking about pulling mine off the tv, mounting it w/ the alamode in an enclosure and using XLR plugs

:mad: must be a cheaper place to get this. :mad:

I'm not sure where you live but mine is listed as coming from Fremont California. I ordered it Tuesday and even with the cheapest shipping it's listed as arriving today(I live about an hour from San Francisco). Which shipping option did you choose?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back