Ingredient Amounts for First Metheglin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wintermute2

Reaction score
Planning on making my first 1-gallon batch of metheglin, using 3 lbs. of Trader Joe's mesquite honey and EC-1118. I'm not sure how to go about adding my spices/herbs. I was thinking of adding ginger root, chamomile tea, orange rind, and vanilla bean for flavoring, but I wasn't sure how much of each and how to add them. Should I steep everything in just-under boiling water and add the resulting tea? How many tea bags? How much ginger (peeled or grated)? Use a whole vanilla bean? Or should I add everything to the must in primary?

Thanks again!

Entirely your choice.

Just remember, the levels of flavouring are more controllable if you add them to a finished batch.

Don't know about the citrus skin idea but vanilla, 1 pod but split along its length. Ginger ? probably about 1 oz grated (skin and all, just scrubbed to remove any soil residue). As for the others youd have to search more to have some clue.....

The above suggestion is how I'd do this but I wouldn't be trying to use so many flavours at one go. It would be too easy to over do one or more of them and get something unpalatable.

Both vanilla and ginger are, IMO, best suited to sweet batches.

Back