INFO on temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TreyNewton

Reaction score
What tempature should I try and keep my apple cider at while its in the primary fermentation? This is my first batch and realy want to make the best of it and make a good batch. So any help would be appreciated very much

IMHO colder is better. I keep mine about 60º The slower you can ferment it out the more apple flavor you will retain. A wise cider maker once told me

-"as the cider ferments if you can smell apples out of the top of the airlock it is fermenting to fast"
Joe in CT

makes sense if it is fermenting so fast that the co2 is bringing with it "essence of apple" than there would be less "essence of apple" in the cider.

This really depends upon the yeast you will be using. It should tell you the ideal temp range to keep the fermentation at. In my experience keeping things around 60° works well. If you go much lower than 50 you will really slow things down with the yeast. Go over 70 and you will stress the yeast and produce a much higher percent of fusel alcohols (can add a bad flavor or produce a wicked hangover). The closer to the ideal temp for the yeast, the happier it will be. Also you can reduce stress by minimizing the temperature swings and keeping things close to the same temp. Basements or closets out of drafts work well. Leaving things outside or in a garage can work but have a higher liklihood of stressing out the yeast and producing something off. Whatever you do keep good notes so you can compare for your own setup.

I used Red Star Pasteur Champagne yeast, I dont see anything about what temp to keep the batch at. And yes I do smell apples at it vents. I have a fish outside stick on fish aquarium thermometer I stuck on the outside of the gallon glass jug that the temp is staying around 78-80 degrees. Guess I need to move it somewhere cooler?

Back