infested what are they...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

physast

Reaction score
And how do I get rid of them?

They are on my hop plant and my jalapeno peppers.

Click the link below to see them

AHHH BUGS!

aphids. ladybugs or get some organic pesticide. I use Organocide; Neem oil also works. If you don't care about harmful chemicals, use the serious stuff in the pesticide section of the hardware store. Just make sure it's for gardens and check what plants it's used for. Pretty sure anything that's OK for tomatoes should be OK for hops.

At this point you can blast them with just about anything you have in your arsenal as the time to harvest looks to be a while away (any residue will be minimal by then). I don't usually have aphid problems until the Chinooks are ready at the very end of August. If they get a start early in the year, they end up getting into the cones and create quite a mess (sooty mold). By that time, you have to use something a little less toxic due to the fact you'll be harvesting shortly after. I've used a dish soap solution with good results a few years ago but normally don't spray anything.

it's been said several times, but Lady bugs be the cure to what ails ya. Just get a package of them from you local home and garden center and release them on the plants with the aphids. they will go to town and stick around until the aphids are gone.

I did a soap water solution yesterday. Looking closer I found that they were all over my flowers and oregano as well.

I have never had them before this year. We have had alot of rain lately and less sun/heat.

If they come back I will probably go with the ladybugs.

If they come back I will probably go with the ladybugs.

They will come back. They told us back in entomology class that if there were no natural predators for aphids, the world would be covered with them in a matter of weeks (or maybe months - poor memory). The lady bugs will eat a lot of them and the soap will take care of many, but there are always a few that you miss. These will repopulate at an astronomical rate so you really have to keep up the fight. At this point you are basically just trying to keep them at a level that you won't have a lot of damage (economical loss). It ain't easy being a farmer!

First year I used Lady Bugs effectively. Second year the Lady Bugs didn't seem interested in the Aphids. You can hose em off, pick em off, plant things they don't like (garlic, onions, basil, fennel, catnip and chives), spray them with poison (no for me) or just do what I've done which is enjoy seeing the hops grow, curse a lot and buy your hops from professionals.

In a ½ liter spray bottle, squeeze a small amount of liquid dish detergent and add approx. ½ to 1 tsp. of crushed red hot chile pepper (finer the better). You can also steep some crushed red pepper tea to use in place of the powder/flakes.
Once ingredients are added fill w/ warm water, cover the spray bottle and shake well.
Spray onto leaves, stems, flowers and buds making sure to get the underside of leaves and between tender new leaves.

Repaeat every 4 or five days, works like a champ!

Use some Sevin spray. It will kill them. It will be long gone before the hop cones are ready.

I unleashed the ladybugs tonight. They seemed happy for the free meal.

I was always told that the bigger cause of aphids is ants. Because the ants actualy milk the aphids for food. I dont know this to be true but usually when I have an aphid issue on my roses i can usualy find ants nearby. When i attack both(usually in spring) I dont seem to have an issue the rest of the season. I dont know this to be factual, but hey just throwin it out there.

Back