Infection or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philistine

Reaction score
So the story goes I'm fermenting a California Common beer. Three weeks in the primary (first two weeks at ~60*F and the last week at ~65*F). Took a gravity reading over 3 days and its set at 1.012 (my recipe called for 1.013). So I add 1 tsp gelatin with 1 cup water to try to help it clear (at room temp, I can't cold crash).

Three days later there is air lock activity. I can see some bubbles coming off the yeast cake and some bubbles congregating on the surface of the beer. But no other obvious signs of infection. The krausen has caked the top of the carboy so I can only get a peak at the beer.

Its been another four days and the gravity is still 1.012. Air lock activity has dropped off a bit (maybe 1/3 less).

The OG was 1.052 and BeerSmith says the FG should have been 1.013 (I measured 1.012). I'm using White Labs WLP810 San Francisco Lager yeast. My last sample smelled and tasted fine. I'm just worried a bit about bottling and getting gushers or worse bottle bombs.

And I do sanitize EVERYTHING. Almost to an OCD level. Anything that touches wort or beer gets dropped in a 5 gallon bucket of StarSan. And any surface I'm working on gets a spray of StarSan too. I even dip my hands in the StarSan bucket.

Doubt it... I'd say everything is A-OK.

Take a sample... if it was infected, you'd know it.

Agreed, it sounds fine. Like maffewl said, take a nip and see if it's tastes normal. If you're still unsure maybe upload a pic?

So far everything has gone fine. I've since bottled the batch and it smelled and tasted good. I guess I may have had some off gassing from the yeast cake. I'm just a bit paranoid.

Sounds like you are just getting some off gassing. Changing weather can cause this. I have noticed it in a beer three weeks old in primary and long done. A low pressure system moves in when the beer fermented in a high system and it's kind of amazing that that much gas is still in solution. I'm pretty sure that even just a simple warming up can cause off gassing.

Latest posts

Back