Infected

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dark_Ale

Reaction score
I have an infection in my dry stout. I have three small patches half the size of a dime on the top. It has been in secondary for 3days. I was thinking about going ahead and getting ready to bottle it. Should I siphon it out and leave about 2inches of beer behind. The infection seems to be floating on top the rest of the beer looks ok. Thanks for the help

Remember yeast is a fungus and ale yeasts are top fermenters. Most likely it is just yeast clumps and you should be fine to bottle.

Or it's just bubbles. There are several threads on this forum, where people have thought their stouts were infected, but weren't. It was bubbles, which are easier to notice on a darker brew.

Is this your first stout?

Its mold, I have seen the small bubbles I just wonder if its on top or all the way through, this has happend to me once before and I was able to save the brew by leaving about an inch or so behind in the secondary. I dont think its too early to bottle I just dont want to loose the brew

You would think by know I would'nt sweat my brews anymore. Upon closer examination(Flashlight magnify glass) It appears to be very very very very very very very tiny bubbles in several differant patches on top. I have seen this before but not a stout, The rich blackness of the stout makes the bubbles look like patches of crisco on top. Thanks for everyones time I will keep an eye on it but I think its just bubbles, ok who all wants a free beer:D

I saw this same thing in my stout about a month ago (in secondary). Its been in bottles close to a month and is by far my best brew yet. And yes, I'm one of the ones that LL is referring to. I had the same fear and it turned out to be nothing but yeast finishing up.

I have a stout in the secondary right now as well. If I wouldnt have experienced the bubbles on our Oktoberfest, I probably would have taken the bubbles on the stout for mold.

Great thread ! saved me from asking this question later on down the road. Thanks all !

everybody goes through this at some point, some more than once.

I have this 'issue' every time I take a hiatus from brewing for a while (sometimes it happens for looong stretches of time), I freak out on my first batch back in the game. :eek:

-walker

brewdude said:
Great thread ! saved me from asking this question later on down the road. Thanks all !

Welcome to the forum! I agree, this board is tops. Back when I did my stout a few months ago, I just happened to see a thread similar to this one. Them tiny bubbles grouped together can look freaky.

Here is what some big-time infections look like:

http://www.bodensatz.com/gallery/FermentationFotos

I removed the secondary off the cold tile floor on to the carpet it must of warmed it up a bit because the patches of bubbles are much larger.....I guess the yeast just wanted to take a break....mmmmmm 1 more week till bottling time......

Latest posts

Back