Induction Mashing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tagz

Reaction score
I've been thinking about getting an induction plate so I can stop using my cooler and switch over to a single vessel BIAB. Anyone have experience they can share? I read the BYO article which had some good pros and cons listed out, but thought it would be good to survey the crowd. I'm not too worried about boiling as I can just shift the pot over to my gas range if necessary. I figure with my STC-1000 I could have pretty good control. Thoughts or recommendations?

Now that I think about it maybe the stc controller won't work. I assume with a push button on/off switch it won't automatically activate like a fridge would. Hmm.

I don't personally use an induction plate, but I do have some thoughts.

One, the STC-1000 is limited to 10 amps. I would imagine that most induction plates draw more than this, right? Two, if you're trying to maintain your mash temp with an external controller, you're gonna want some way to circulate the wort too, like with a pump. The temperature gradient across the kettle will be pretty severe if you don't stir or circulate while applying heat.

Not sure what your heat source is, but you might have a few options that would allow you to try BIAB before plopping down the moolah for the induction plate. What's your current set up look like? I'd start simple, most likely keeping your current heat source and just insulating your kettle for the mash. After you've done a few BIAB batches, then start thinking if controllers and circulation and other what-not are the direction you want to go.

My 2 cents. Hope it helps.

FWIW, I have repaired a scorched bag that was the result of someone setting a temp on their induction plate and assuming this alone would hold a steady mash temp. As TW states above, if you are going to attempt to add heat during a mash, that heat will need to be distributed throughout the mash, regardless of the type of heat applied.

Did my first BIAB last weekend with a wilserbrewer bag and induction. Worked well. Two things that were in my favor. Recirculating during the mash and a false bottom in the kettle. The temperature on the hob wasn't accurate. It took a 170 degree setting to hold a 150 degrees mash, but that wasn't a problem once I figured it out. I mashed in at 145 and slow ramped to 154 over the hour long mash. Got 75% efficiency with the same grind I use with my three vessel system. Probably saved about an hour and it was fun trying something different.

edit:
Now that you mentioned it below, my kettle is insulated. :cross:

Interesting. Thanks for the input. I thought it might be an easy way to BIAB without insulating or recirculating. Pipe dream I suppose.

So I've been giving this some more thought. I would imagine the scorching potential would be pretty low since I have a metal basket. i'm also not opposed to stirring occasionally during the hour mash. I would figure that the induction surface wouldn't need to work that hard once I mash in. The biggest concern is finding a model that can hold a temp around 150. Thoughts?

The thermistor on induction cookers that have temp settings is measuring the temp of thermal grease that was heated by heat transmitted through the glass top, which is heated from heat transferred from the pot to the glass. Less than accurate is an understatement. I hacked my avantco to convert the probe into an external/submersible unit. I have a thread here on it.

The stc-1000 wont work. Induction cookers run off a programmed IC and not via an on/off switch.

Also induction cookers are not created equal. Most only step in temps of 30 degrees. Avantco is the cheapest with 10* steps in the temp range we care about.

Recirculation or frequent stirring us critical if you're going to use anything to actively monitor and heat the mash.

Thanks for all the info. After a bunch of research, I'm going in a different direction. I just ordered some rubber foam insulation. Looking forward to simplifying my brew day with BIAB!

Back